Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2009 12:00

Unable to back and for within the Forum

Hi guys.

I did not know where to post this because apparently this is a Forum bug with my profile.

Whenever I am browsing the posts and following a long thread, I can not go back to the main Forum page, or go back at all to any page when I hit "back arrow" in my browser. It does not hold a "history" in the "back blue arrow" in my IE 8, mind you, this only happens when I am logged in. If I am not signed in I can go back and forward without any problems

This has been happening quite a while now. I thought It was my sys, but since I reinstalled OS (XP Pro) late October, and it is still doing it. It can not be my comp. That is why I have not been more active lately, it is a pain to go back to Forum and look for the last post that I read to go to the next post or page and so for. I am here asking for help. This has to be some malfunction with my profile. Is any body else seeing this when perusing the Forum?

Thank you before hand.

1 Rookie

• 

86 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 20:00

I have a problem using the forum tool to go back to the "Previous" page. In fact, I can't -- at all. I have to go the list in my account and click on a post that is on the page I wish to view.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't hold my breath seeing a fix to any of these problems. You'll find at least one thread where Community members pointed out a problem and 6, 7, or more months later the problem still hadn't been fixed. In fact, it may not be fixed right now.

Funny how that seems to mirror the frequent complaints I'm reading about poor customer service, delays in shipping orders, etc.

Anyway, a computer manufacturer that can't seem to keep their Community website running properly sure doesn't show a good face to the world, does it?

1K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 11:00

Hi 123h.

Thank you for answering my post. In my case, I usually sign in then click "Forums" and start reading the title posts. If some post catch my attention, I go in and read it then when I am done, I click my browser arrow to go back to "Forums", but nothing happens. The two blue round arrows just go whiteish. I have to go to the top left side of the page and click "Forums" to go back to the list. Now imagine it. if I have read six pages of twenty or so posts, and have to go back to page one because my back arrow does not work. It is a pain in the neck to browse all two or three pages again to get where I was at. May be in the USA or EU where broadband is 4 or 6 Mb/s is no brainer, but here where the DSL speed is an average of 750 Kb/s is a pain in the neck. If I am in "Forums" (or any of the sections) reading the titles I can use the numbered pages to go back and for but not my back arrow. Now like I said before these only happens if I am signed in.

I am fortunate not to have had any troubles regarding support when I have needed it. Because I am in South America, our support is from Panama or Colombia or Mexico and they have always delivered good attention. I believe this is a Forum bug with my profile that can be fixed or not. I just hope that a moderator may read it and look for an answer, if not, well that is Karma, but hope is the last thing men (women) can lose.

Thank you and good luck too with your malfunction. I hope you find a solution.

1 Rookie

• 

86 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 18:00

Hernan, I am suspecting that your problem might not be a problem with the forum software. It could be, but If it is your browser back button that is not functioning then there is some sort of interface configuration problem. The fact that it only happens when you are logged on, not when you are viewing the forum as a guest, doesn't necessarily point a finger at the forum configuration, either. 

As for troubelshooting the problem at your end, the first question would be whether you had this problem when you were using IE7?

You don't by any chance have the same problem with any other site, do you? I haven't a clue where this software for this forum was developed, but you could start by hitting a phpBB/VB/ASP type site and see if you have the same trouble.

Then hit a site that was custom built, as I assume this site was, and see if you have the problem. It's a lot of running around on the Net, but if it's something in IE8 or in the configuration you have set up on your unit you might want to figure it out.

You might also get somebody else showing up that can confirm they are having the same problem and that would help.

The problem I outlined above is related to a thread here on the forum that breaks down into pages and I'm using the forum tool "Previous page". That's definitely forum software.

I don't have any problems with my back button here with any of the units I use at this work station -- Dell, Gateway, or Toshiba. And I don't have IE8 on any of them. Don't want that. Can't really say I like IE8. Each Microsoft browser upgrade seems a bit more invasive, but that discussion is not for here and is pointless, anyway.

1K Posts

November 24th, 2009 11:00

Hi 1234h.

I have always used IE8 with no problems. This started back in August, and I reinstalled IE8 late October. Yesterday afternoon was behaving better. Today is back to its old self. I do post and read in Avast, HP, Logitech, and Comodo Forums to mention a few, without any problems what so ever. I was browsing DELL forums with FireFox early today and did not have any trouble with its back arrow. So it could be IE8 and this Forum specifically :emotion-12: since I do not see this behaviour in any of the other forums I participate :emotion-18:

No body else has reported a similar behaviour, so it might be just my PC and IE8:emotion-40:

BTW my "Previous" and "Next page" work like they are suppose to.

Thank you again for your input 1234h. I will be waiting for some one else to report similar malfunction or even a solution to this conundrum.

November 25th, 2009 02:00

Hi Hernan

I am having the same problem - I am losing my back button when I am signed in and not when I am not. I have been looking at this forum for quite a while but only set up an id in the last couple of weeks, but I noticed this problem almost immediately. I am on IE6 and XP Professional. I have noticed a similar problem on one other website - www.dublinbus.ie when I am looking up bus timetables.

Unfortunately I am on a work PC so there is very little I can do in the way of troubleshooting, as I am not allowed to change internet settings or install software.

Susan

43 Posts

November 25th, 2009 08:00

Had the same problem crop up after becoming a member and using these forums.  My guess is there is something about the forum and IE8 not playing nice with each other.  OTOH, it could not be related at all.  Either way, I did a lot of research on back/forward buttons not working and came up with this fix, which worked for me.  Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Reset.  After resetting IE8, everything is back to normal and has been working fine for the past couple of days. 

1K Posts

November 25th, 2009 09:00

Hi Susan and Xav8tor.

Susan, IE6 :emotion-42: Interesting. That means, it does not happen just with IE8. Since you are in a company PC, you may not have administrator rights to try Xav8tor solution :emotion-4: It sucks. Thank you for your info, and welcome to DELL Forums. You will find real capable members willing to help you anytime. Good luck.

Xav8tor, thank you for your info. When you reset IE8, was it open and in the Forums? Or just went to IE8 Properties > Advance Option > Reset? It does state that only use this option if IE is inoperative. Did you lose any add ons or have to reinstall any Microsoft Updates for IE? Thank you again. 

43 Posts

November 25th, 2009 10:00

Yes, it does happen with earlier versions too. A reset, or, failing that, a reinstall (edit) is the only answer I know of.  Here is what Microsoft has to say regarding what happens when you reset IE8:

Reset Internet Explorer settings

By resetting Internet Explorer settings, you return Internet Explorer to the state it was in when it was first installed on your computer. This is useful for troubleshooting problems that might be caused by settings that were changed after installation. When you delete personal settings, some webpages that rely on previously stored cookies, form data, passwords, or previously installed browser add-ons might not work correctly. Resetting Internet Explorer to its default settings does not delete your favorites, feeds, Web Slices, and a few other personalized settings. See the table below for a complete list of all settings and information about whether they are reset or maintained.

Resetting Internet Explorer's settings is not reversible. After a reset, all previous settings are lost and cannot be recovered. Rather than resetting everything, you might want to reset specific settings or delete your webpage history. For more information, see the links at the bottom of this topic.

Picture of a Play button Go to the Windows website to watch the video. (2:07)

Internet Explorer settings that are affected by a reset

The following table describes what will happen to various settings when you reset Internet Explorer.

Settings categories

Items affected

Settings that are deleted

• Disabled toolbars and add-ons

• Websites added to intranet, trusted, or restricted zones

• Websites added for special cookie handling under the Privacy tab

• Websites allowed to use pop-ups under Pop-up Blocker settings

Settings that are reset to Windows, manufacturer, Internet provider, or corporate defaults

• Home page (for information about backing up your home page tabs, see Back up your home page or home page tabs)

• Search providers, tabbed browsing settings

• Colors, languages, fonts, and accessibility settings (General tab)

• Security settings for all zones (Security tab)

• Advanced tab settings

• Privacy tab settings

• Pop-up blocker, AutoComplete, SmartScreen Filter, and Zoom settings

• Page setup, toolbar, and text size settings

• Feeds settings (sync and notification, not feeds themselves)

• ActiveX controls that are not on the pre-approved list (reset to opt-in state)

• Toolbars, browser helper objects, and browser extensions are disabled

Settings that are deleted (Delete personal settings is selected)

• Browser history, temporary Internet files, cookies, form data, and stored passwords

• Typed URL information, menu extensions

• InPrivate Filtering data

• Explorer most recently used list

Settings and items that are maintained

• Favorites

• Feeds and Web Slices

• Content Advisor settings

• Pre-approved ActiveX controls

• Temporary Internet file (cache) path settings

• Certificate information

• Internet Programs (e‑mail, instant messenger, and other programs associated with Internet use)

• Internet connection, proxy, and VPN settings

• Default web browser setting

• Toolbars are not restored

To reset Internet Explorer settings

1. Close any Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.

2. Click to open Internet Explorer.

3. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

5. Select the Delete personal settings check box if you would like to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, and InPrivate Filtering data.

6. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.

7. When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the settings, click Close, and then click OK.

8. Close Internet Explorer.

Your changes will take effect the next time you open Internet Explorer.

1K Posts

November 25th, 2009 11:00

Hi Xav8tor.

Thank you for your research. I do not know if I will do the IE reset. It malfunctions only in this Forum. For the rest, my IE8 works great. I will lose too many sets and no warranties it will fix my problem. Like I said in a post above, I reinstalled IE8 back in October and it did not fix my problem. Anyhow if I have to browse the forums, I will just do it unsigned if I have to post I would have to log in. OTOH I could use Fire Fox. Will see. I will have it in mind though. Thank you again.

43 Posts

November 25th, 2009 12:00

I really didn't notice too many changes after the IE8 reset, aside from my having to change a few security and search settings.  Having my buttons back was worth the trouble.  I hate to admit it, but IE8 does have a couple of nifty features not in Firefox, like the page zoom clicking, vs. going into a menu or having to use a keyboard shortcut.  You're right though, Firefox solves a lot of IE problems.  Haven't tried Chrome yet.

By the way, when I first noticed the back button issue it was only here, but then other sites started doing the same thing too.  That is when I ended up doing the reset.

No Events found!