Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 13th, 2008 07:00

What has happened to Dell?

I just ordered a new system on Thursday. It was absolutely the worst online shopping experience that I have ever had. The first problem was I presume a problem with Firefox. I could not enter the expiration date of my credit card. It would not allow me to select a month or year. No matter what I tried it would not let me enter the date.

I then tried IE 8. First it could not find my order in the shopping cart so I had to completely reenter the configuation. I could not even find the deal that I got on the first system. I had to actually find the web site that showed the deal and start the configuation that way. Then when I finally got to the point of entering the credit card info, it worked, but would not let me change the address. Something about an error and to try again later. I had to hit the back button then click on change address at least a dozen times to finally get the address change screen. Since I was using two credit cards to pay for the system, I went through that again for the second card.

Meanwhile, I called the customer support number. After spending 30 minutes on hold, I was told that the system I was configuring was a business system and I got transferred. After another hold period, I was told that my account was a corporate discount plan and that they could not pull up the order. Then without saying anything I was transferred again and put on hold. Meanwhile I was trying online to complete my order.

I finally got the system ordered and all seemed well until I received the email confirmation of the order. The order was correct, but instead of a delivery date of 12/22 the order now said 12/26. Too late for Christmas. I then sent an email to customer support (I was not about to be placed on hold for another hour) saying that I would pay the extra money to get the computer before Christmas. I was assured that they would respond within 24 hours.

I am still waiting for the response.

If this is the best that Dell can do, then I am extremely disappointed. If it were not for the great deal, I would cancel my order. I realize that this is the holiday season and things are busy, but this is ridiculous.

Any help would be appreciated.

2.2K Posts

December 13th, 2008 12:00

Regardless of what they say, I strongly recommend just cancelling and buying locally, either a Dell or something else...

I have nothing against Dell.... It is just too close to Christmas to risk it not arriving on time....

799 Posts

I have a lot against Dell. I would cancel the order and purchase from another supplier.

2.2K Posts

Regardless of what they say, I strongly recommend just cancelling and buying locally, either a Dell or something else...

I have nothing against Dell.... It is just too close to Christmas to risk it not arriving on time....

799 Posts

I have nothing against Dell....

I have nothing against Dell???????

December 13th, 2008 14:00

I have a lot against Dell. I would cancel the order and purchase from another supplier.

If you are so against Dell why are you still here?  I purchased an XPS Gen 4 almost 4 plus years ago and despite a hard drive failure...the computer has been rock solid. Your experience might vary, but to sit here and simply steer others away just because your experience was less than satisfactory is a waste of your time and others.

799 Posts

December 13th, 2008 14:00

If you are so against Dell why are you still here?  I purchased an XPS Gen 4 almost 4 plus years ago and despite a hard drive failure...the computer has been rock solid. Your experience might vary, but to sit here and simply steer others away just because your experience was less than satisfactory is a waste of your time and others.

Hello ApproachingZeroHour, Thank you for you reply. I am very happy you have been satisifed with your Dell system.

I have purchased Dell systems since Dell has been in business. I have over one hundred of Dell's systems now in service. Some of these systems have been running 24 hours each day for over ten years, and only been off for power outages and normal maintenance.

I also, have some Dell systems that have been purchased recently, that were defective right out of the box. Not just one, but several.

You may not be aware, that in the past few years, very many Dell customers have suggested, Dell quality and support has deminished to the point of almost non-existant. My only purpose for "still being here" as you put it, is to advise Dell customers how to resolve some of their issues that they cannot seem to get Dell to resolve.

I beg to differ with your premise that for me to try and help others with their Dell systems is a waste of my time and theirs. I have helped many.

I also, since this is a public forum, advise others that ask for other's experiences and opinions, as to which products they should or should not purchase. It is their decision to make, as to what to purchase or not purchase.

Could I ask how many Dell customers have you helped here at the DCF?

Again, Thank You for your reply, as it will help others that have doubt about Dell.

799 Posts

December 13th, 2008 15:00

Hello myke258, Thank you for your reply. This seems to verify what many others have been saying for quite a while now.

I have always bought and used Dell systems, but recently Dell quality and support has vanished.

I wish for the good old days of Dell.

3 Posts

December 13th, 2008 15:00

I have to agree Dell is surely not what it used to be when it comes to customer service and shipping orders. I ordered a computer for my girlfriend for xmas. In the past Dell gets the systems out the door in a few days. The real kicker is they were offering FREE UPGRADE for 2 day shipping. I ordered the system on December 11th with nothing changed except I upgraded to a 20" monitor. I got the delivery date and almost fell off my chair, expected delivery date of January 12 - 15 A whole month to build a computer ???? And where does the free upgrade of 2 day shipping come in ? Unbelievable....Dell is going down hill fast.

4.6K Posts

December 14th, 2008 10:00

I beg to differ with your premise that for me to try and help others with their Dell systems is a waste of my time and theirs.

It wasn't suggested that trying to help others is a waste of your/others time at all?

The actual comment was...

Your experience might vary, but to sit here and simply steer others away just because your experience was less than satisfactory is a waste of your time and others.

And that was a direct response to what you'd said just prior - namely...

There's a huge difference :emotion-43:

799 Posts

December 14th, 2008 11:00

If you are so against Dell why are you still here?

My reply to this post was the explain why I am still here.

I am still here to try and help others with issues with their Dell systems that Dell either cannot or will not address.

I don't have to like Dell as a company, and I don't, in order to help others with some of their issues.

For all of those that Love Dell, I am fine with that. I have reasons not to like Dell after 25 years of purchasing Dell equipment and recommending Dell products to others.

I have purchased and recommended for purchase, thousands of Dell products, and Dell quality and support has deminished in recent years.

For those that have only used Dell products for a few years, you cannot know the difference in the past Dell and the present Dell. I do.

My suggestions are not meant to "steer" anyone away, but to offer advice and my opinion as to what would be better for them to do.

This is their decision to make, and not mine, after considering all, or any of the information available to them.

When DCF members request help and advice about Dell products, as this is a public forum, I feel I can offer my advice and opinion, just as anyone else.

But if my help and advice has become a distraction here, perhaps I should let the ones that seem to want to criticize, instead of help, reply more to those that request help and advice.

17 Posts

December 14th, 2008 11:00

myke258, I am sure you are aware that it does not take a "whole month to build a computer". It is not an issue with Dell per se, but their ordering and supply chain. If you order a component that is out of stock then they can not offer delivery of the unit till all components are available. While the timeframe does seem unreasonable, if there was a run on components that are in short supply, then you will lose time on shipping. I have had some long ship dates, too. I know it is a pain. You can either give your GF a photo of what you got her with an explaination of your late order or call Dell to see what component is holding up the system. Maybe you can change the ship date. I have rarely seen the old days of 3 or 4 day order processing as of late. Ordering so close to Christmas is a challenge for many merchants. Not just Dell. They are able to keep their costs down by minimizing over stocking of components. It is not Dell's fault that there is not enough time between now and Christmas.

3 Posts

December 16th, 2008 07:00

Thank you all for your responses to my original post. I won't be ordering from Dell again anytime soon. Just too many hassles and there are other places that really want your experience to be positive.

I finally received an email from customer support. A bit longer than the 24 hour response they promised, it's Tuesday and I originally wrote them last Thursday. They did change the shipping so I will be getting the system before Christmas. Thankfully. I was ready to cancel my order and buy from Best Buy or some other place for a system that does not have the same specs as the Dell system.

It does not change my attitude in any way towards Dell. I guess that they are just courting the big corporate accounts and us little people don't matter.

Eventually it will come back to bite them.

Thanks again,

Steve

No Events found!