Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 15th, 2018 09:00

Which board do I post concerning a Dell Dimension power supply?

Hi

I want to ask a question concerning a power supply for a Dell Dimension 5150. From what I can see of other questions relating to Dell Dimension computers they seem to be on the Desktops General board, but that appears to be locked.

From Dell Community > PCs & Accessories > Desktops I can click on 'Start a new discussion' but what should I choose in 'Select Location > Choose a Board'?

Is it this one i.e. New to Dell Community?

Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2018 05:00

We have the following Desktop boards =
Inspiron Desktops
XPS Desktops
Optiplex
Alienware Desktops
Vostro

Old legacy Dimension desktop questions would be posted on the Inspiron Desktops board.

Old legacy Studio & Studio XPS desktop questions would be posted on the XPS Desktops board.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2018 14:00

* Go to the Homepage
* On the left click "Browse Community"
* Click Dell Community
* Click PC's & Accessories
* Click Workstations
* Choose either =
Precision Mobile Workstations
Precision Fixed Workstations

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 16th, 2018 06:00

I can probably answer your question, if its about replacing it.  I used to have a Dimension E510 which is identical to the 5150.  I replaced the Dell OEM with a standard ATX style power supply (I think it was a 500 watt model).  I used a "fully modular" type as that eliminates unused/unneeded extra power supply wires.

One caution, avoid the inexpensive power supplies.  They tend to be overrated (in watts) and have poor DC voltage regulation.  

The Dimension PC line has been discontinued for many years and probably why there is no section for Dimension.  I would post in the Inspiron section (the Inspiron model line replaced the Dimension line).

3 Posts

April 16th, 2018 07:00

Hi fireberd and thanks for your reply.

Actually I was going to buy a used Dell power supply on ebay (UK) and my question was going to be does it matter if the REV number (on a sticker) is different even if model/part numbers etc (on the main label) are the same. My REV number is A01 and one on ebay is A06.

I found one result (with no replies) by searching the Desktop General board where someone found a difference based on REV number but that was an XPS 600 supply. See here .

I think it's probably unlikely to make a difference in my case as I discovered today there seem to be a lot of different compatible part numbers which probably all have their different REV versions too! My Dell P/N is M8805 which can be found amongst the compatibles mentioned here .

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 16th, 2018 10:00

I don't have access to exact part numbers.  But I (personally) would not buy a used power supply, especially one that old.  

3 Posts

April 17th, 2018 11:00

I'll take a chance on one going pretty cheaply :-)

I'm actually doing this for someone else and they have recently bought a laptop so I don't think the Dimension will be used too often now anyway.

Thanks for your interest.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

May 14th, 2018 19:00

Edited: Support - Community - Desktops - Desktops General is now an option if you don't see your Dell listed. (or) https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops/ct-p/Desktops

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 15th, 2018 02:00

A recent post from a Dell moderator noted Dimension posts should be in the Inspiron section.  

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

May 15th, 2018 14:00

Hi fireberd,

Where did you see "Inspiron?" It wasn't in my post. It is at the top of the desktops list, scroll down, and "Desktops General" is listed. Link is in my previous post for easy reference.

Edited: I also stand corrected. I tapped "Desktops General" to find it's a locked column. Fireberd, how would you advise, or was your post the advisement if a Dell model isn't listed?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 15th, 2018 15:00

It is a post in the Rockstars forum section by "Dell Chris"

"Desktops Forum note

We do not have a Dimension board. So those will be moved to the Inspiron board.

We do not have a Studio board. So those will be moved to the XPS board since there was a mix of Studio and Studio XPS systems."

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

May 15th, 2018 17:00

Hi fireberd,

Thanks for the clarification. ☺

I thought I might've seen it already - a post referring Dimension over to Inspiron. Turned out it was you earlier in this thread last month. That's a good one. ☺

Seriously though, there were some tech questions in other threads in the New to Community column that went a while or sometime without answers. In referring a few to other columns, I wanted to make sure they received answers in a timely manner.

Thanks again for the reference points.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

June 23rd, 2018 13:00

Hi Chris,

What about Dell Precision?  Quite a few for sale yet from refurb places and on Ebay.  Plus I'm considering buying one.

No Events found!