Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 30th, 2008 18:00

XP, XPS 400 USB driver issues, iPod and other devices

I have an XPS 400, circa late 2005, XP sp3 with all latest updates.

I have always had an issue with getting my USB ports to operate properly and recognize devices, load the proper drivers. Even when new, I could never get my old ZIP drives and external HDD from my old  Dim T500 with WIN 98. I can get my Brother printer to work USB and with some attemps, a Dig Camera at times.

I am told I should not need any USB drivers with XP especially when getting an iPod to work. I have searched many other forums, tried all the solutions suggested to no avail. Installed and uninstalled many times.

Most times the wizard tell me it needs the ICUSB.INI file. I can locate it on the drive but when it goes to install says something that it was pre Win 95, or something like that. The install fails and the iPod is not installed in the Device Manager and cannot communicate.

Since the issue has been there from the start for the most part, I am thinking that when I transferred files from the old PC (T500/Win98), I messed with something in the new XPS400. Back then, I spoke to someone at Iomega on the ZIP issue and he said to reload Windosws XP. At the time, the PC was new and did not want to do that. But now, with the iPod my kids are dying to use, I need to try something. Still don't want to reload, dont have the original XP disc but have a copy from a refurb XPS400 I purchased recently. The rsource CD is of no use. Also have a 410 and 420 with Vista. Was hoping I could pick a file/driver out and reinstall on the problem PC.

On a related but not the same issue (or the cause), one of my USB port connectors on the front of is cracked, pin broken. Was wondering if I could get the assembly from Dell or other but cannot find any documentation, part number, etc. i'd be willing to solder in just the connector if i could find a few.

Thanks,

Jim

3.4K Posts

December 31st, 2008 09:00

Hello,

From what I understand the computer has had Windows reinstalled from scratch.

If so, the required order for reinstalling Windows on Dell computers may have not been followed, and would result in the types of errors and problems that you state.

:emotion-55:  Use the list below and pay special attention to the note about booting into safe mode since Windows is already installed, and you have begun to install drivers ...  :emotion-55:

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page. The DSS or NSS may not be required for some systems that shipped with Windows Vista installed, or older systems that don't offer DSS or NSS files. But if your download page has a DSS or NSS file, "It is required".
2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
9. Other Devices
* Bluetooth Module
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/. Input your service tag number to get the required drivers for your system, 'as shipped'.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

5 Posts

December 31st, 2008 11:00

Hi D:

Actually, XP has not been loaded/re-loaded from scratch as of yet. I was trying to avoid doing that but appears I will have no other choice but to start over. I will go over what you sent, check the dowload page and when I get a chance, I'll start the process unless I find another solution. Wondering if just re-installing these DSS/NSS files will solve the issue. Thanks for your help. Jim.

3.4K Posts

December 31st, 2008 12:00

... I'll start the process unless I find another solution. Wondering if just re-installing these DSS/NSS files will solve the issue. Thanks for your help. Jim.

Hello again,

The system never has been reinstalled since new?

Either way, it will not hurt to install the first two files on the list in safe mode. :emotion-15:

No Events found!