Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2008 20:00

monitor only showing dell sign

My dad gave me his comp. and i checked it out worked fine in dining room went to hook up in another room and monitor only sayign dell, I have no task bar or any icons just a plan screem don't know what to do can anyone help.

December 30th, 2008 20:00

The monitor is not getting a video signal. Check for a loose connection and/or multiple video outputs - it's possible, with dual out cards or with third-party video cards, that you may be connected to the wrong video out port.

On the monitor end you may want to flip through the input modes e.g., VGA, DVI, etc.

You may also want to boot to SAFE mode (F8). If you have video you may want to consider uninstalling the existing driver. Reinstall once you've stabilized the feed.

Good Luck.

8 Posts

December 31st, 2008 05:00

I don't know much about comp. but the only cords i have are mouse, key pad speaker and one that hooks fron cpu to tower, i did not see a video mode. I can hit control alt delete and get task menu thats it. i have taked off cable from monitor to cpu and retighted nothing any other ideas?? i would appricate it

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 31st, 2008 06:00

Since you don't know much about computer, you could have damaged the hard drive if you didn't shut down Windows properly by just pulling the power cord from the wall outlet when you went to move it from one room to another. It sounds to me that you are getting a video signal, just that you have trouble booting into Windows.

8 Posts

December 31st, 2008 08:00

so what do I do? I had it workign and husband did just unplug before moving. My dad said he was having prob. with it booting up. and he was gettign no screen so Help

3.4K Posts

December 31st, 2008 09:00

Hello,

What model is your Dell, and what version of Windows do you have?

8 Posts

December 31st, 2008 09:00

dimension 1100/b110  window xp

3.4K Posts

December 31st, 2008 10:00

Hello again,

OK, you have USB mouse and keyboard connections.

Take a look at this page and report back with the colors of lights, and any beeps the system makes.

8 Posts

I don't green or blue cord. I have flat plug ins the mouse and key board work.  i have unpluged then replugged them in.  I still have no start or task  bar

3.4K Posts

Hello again,

Take a look at this setup PDF.

It might help if you have problems with the cable locations. If you still have problems just reply here, and we will continue.

8 Posts

December 31st, 2008 13:00

I still don't have a desk top. the colors were green and i had no beeps. I was wondering if I should see if my dad has the disk still and reboot?

I was hoping you would have some help. so lets keep trying. knowing my dad he threw it away. so please help

8 Posts

Hi again my hubby said he thinks there was a virus in it. we only got it last night, form dad.  where do i find the mother board or video card.

Jeff Gordon fan lol

3.4K Posts

Hello again,

Does the system sound like it is starting all the way?

If so, you may have a video card problem. Do you know if you have a video 'card', or if the video is on the 'motherboard'?

And if by 'reboot', you mean reinstall, the registered 'owner' of the system can order a free reinstall CD from here.

3.4K Posts

December 31st, 2008 15:00

Hello,

All the information for the 1100 model can be found here.

Just ask if you have other questions.

No Events found!