Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2009 13:00

Can ie8 slow down total computer from ie7?

I have a Dim 4600 that was running very well. By mistake, there was a microsift update that installed ie8 to my computer by mistake.. (I miss the notice). Now my entire computer runs very slow. I have not added any hardware or software -- other than the ie8. At this point I was going to un-install ie8 and download/install ie7. OR should I be looking for other areas. I am running AVG anti-virus and Adaware anto adware. Scanning from Nortons has not shown and viruses. Only other point... D 4600 running XP with only half gig memory. But my system was working fine until -- you know.....  Your thoughts???      My BEST to ALL for a pleasant Holiday..  Art    :emotion-6:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 21st, 2009 10:00

Art,

When I tried IE8 I thought it also slowed down my Vista computer. I uninstalled it and went back to IE7 and computer worked much better.

When I had Xp, I used IE6. When I went to IE7, my camera software, my phone software and many other programs stopped working. I uninstalled IE7 and went back to IE6 and everything started working again.

This is just my opinion.

Rick

1.1K Posts

November 21st, 2009 10:00

ArtC

Not sure about IE8 slowing total system performance, your RAM looks a bit limiting, assume you have checked Task Manager CPU/Memory performance figures?

I am running AVG anti-virus and Adaware anto adware. Scanning from Nortons has not shown and viruses.

I may have misunderstood but hope you don’t have more than one AV activated

It appears that various security type applications are causing issues with IE8 itself

You may want to read this Thread, click here

Only problem I had (mentioned in above Thread) was my mouse doing the jitterbug in Favorites, eventually discovered it was the AV engine version I was using (problem fixed when AV software engine was updated)

Edit: In fact my whole system performance improved after AV software engine was updated

Happens when using older versions of any AV software containing an outdated algorithm & SDAT – used to run in memory (real time scan)

No Events found!