Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2017 19:00

Is it wrong to do this?

Hi,

I'm not sure if my company is asking me to do something illegal or unethical. Any advice would be much appreciated. I have worked in RTV (return to vendor) department for ten years and never came across this until recently. We started making bids on other companies rejects. For example...Lets take Office Depot. When a customer brings a product back for any reason and Office Depot can't do anything with. The will collect a pallet of these defects and place them up for bid on the web. Companies make bids on this pallet. Whoever has the highest  bid wins. My company has won many bids. They are provide with an invoice of these items and on each one we agree to buy as is. I have been instructed by management to call Dell and set up repair process even though we bought these as "as is". I was told not to tell them that we had purchased the units as is. If a tech ask for proof of purchase just hang up and try another tech because very few techs ask for proof of purchase when we call since we have be doing business with them for a long time.

Is what being asked of me legal or unethical? So far Dell has repaired about 50,000.00 worth of "as is" stuff. Who can I speak to at Dell about this?

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

July 9th, 2017 15:00

I'm not sure it is unethical or illegal.  If i'm understanding you correctly, your company purchases bulk items that a retailer has had returned from their customers either because they didn't want it or it was defective.  If that is the case, the warranty stays with the machine and would probably be de-registered via Dell once returned.  I don't think its a bad thing to turn around and resell them let alone use the warranty to get it fixed.  As far as I know Dell has already received the compensation for the product and warranty, as such the warranty would be intact. It 'feels' to me to be kind of grey but not bad.  Big Lots is a company that buys overstock and 'un-sellable' stuff sometimes and resells it at lower costs, same with Overstock.com or any other wholesale super discount re-seller.  

My only concern is the 'clock' on the warranty isn't stopped so unless you are an authorized re-seller of Dell products, the warranty may be invalid to your customer unless you are selling it as-is.  

6 Posts

July 9th, 2017 19:00

Thanks for the reply. I became uncomfortable about it when I was told not to mention that we bought the stuff *** is. "As Is" voids the warranty. Thus, their instructions not to use the proof of purchase with its statement of "as is" just hang up and try a different tech which I have done to keep my job. But if it's fraudulent then they can't make me do it.

6 Posts

July 9th, 2017 19:00

We bought it "as is"....

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 10th, 2017 01:00

I think it is something that you should talk to the company, they will contact you privately.

No Events found!