Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2008 16:00

Is this blue screen real?

A couple of weeks ago, I believe I had a virus on my laptop. There was a software pop up called Antivirus XP 2008.  They had a fake microsoft logo and there was no mention of microsoft on their web site.  I think I was able to get rid of the virus, but along with it came this blue screen message thing.

After about 5 minutes of the laptop sitting idle, it will flash to a blue screen with a long message.  (each time this comes up it has a different error code) This screen toggles back and forth with the Microsoft windows xp startup black screen with the blue bar at the bottom.  If I hit escape, the screen will return back to normal.  Could this be a screensaver set up as a fake bluescreen? Can you escape out of a real blue screen?

I tried to check the screen saver settings, but it doesn't appear that this Dell Latitude D610 computer has a screensaver setting anywhere. Where should I start? Any help I can get is greatly appreciated.

3.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2008 17:00

Hello,

I think you are correct in your thinking.

I suggest that you go to the malware forum and tell your story again.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

November 23rd, 2008 15:00

In order to "tell your story" it would be helpful to the people who volunteer on the malware removal forum if you post a couple of logs.

Please download to your desktop Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checkedPhotobucket
    Click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • If you are still having problems and/or would like a follow-up check to be sure the infection as well as vulnerabilities are gone, copy and paste the entire report into a New Message on the Malware Removal forum. Also include a fresh HijackThis log. Instructions for downloading HijackThis are at the top of that forum.
    1. Just click the Start A New Thread button (upper right) in the Malware Removal forum here:
    http://en.community.dell.com/forums/3521.aspx

to start your own thread requesting assistance for a follow-up check to be sure the malware is gone.
    2. In the discussion window that opens, simply Right-Click and select Paste.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
* If you are unable to download or install MBAM on your computer, see if you can use a friend's or family member's computer to download MBAM. Use this update link here to manually download the update. Once downloaded, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "findjunk.exe". Copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive. Transfer the file to the infected computer. Install the "findjunk.exe" file, then run the update so that you will have the current definitions. After that, run a full system scan and select to have the program REMOVE whatever it finds.

November 25th, 2008 13:00

Thank you so much, bugbatter! I downloaded the malware software that you suggested, and it totally took care of my problem. I'm so grateful!

Best regards, Scott.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

November 27th, 2008 08:00

You're welcome, Scott. Please review the instructions for posting a HijackThis log and your MBAM log. It is obvious that you still have some remnants of infection. It appears that the person who is helping you on the Malware Removal forum is under the impression that you are using Vista and has not requested any logs to be posted. I suggest that you do not do any registry editing until a trained analyst can help you. There is a list of trained helpers in the "HOW TO POST..." announcement at the top of the Malware Removal forum.

No Events found!