Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2009 12:00

Restore to Factory Settings on Dimension 4500

I cannot find my original CDs for my Dell Dimension 4500 and I need to restore the system back to factory settings before I give the PC away.  Just got a new Dell 530.  What do I need to do? 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 16th, 2009 12:00

With a PC that old, Dell will not replace lost CD's.  You will have to purchase an operating system CD and you can download whatever device drivers are needed from the Dell downloads for the 4500 HERE.

If you don't want to buy the pricey Windows XP, you can just reformat the hard drive (which deletes everything) and let whoever you are going to give it to buy Windows. 

The install sequence including reformatting the hard drive is (1) Install Windows (2) Install the Intel chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers such as sound, video, etc. 

1K Posts

January 16th, 2009 13:00

Too slow typing

7 Posts

January 19th, 2009 16:00

How do I reformat the hard drive....I found all my cd's including windows xp and dell drivers micscellanous.  What commands do I issue prior to system boot? Steps.

4.6K Posts

January 19th, 2009 19:00

How do I reformat the hard drive...

What commands do I issue prior to system boot? Steps.

There are no "commands" required.  This is a Windows Xp installation - not DOS :emotion-2:

You just need to boot from the Windows XP CD, and follow the prompts, really.

But there's an excellent 'how to' - with screenshots of each step, for how to do a 'clean' install of XP, on Paul Thurrott's 'Supersite for Windows' website :emotion-5:

No Events found!