Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

May 18th, 2009 04:00

ntldr is missing please help

hi every body, I encountered a reall disaster, I have a 1420 dell inspiron,

I didn't know that dell media direct soft ware installation  might destroy all data in computer,

I tried to install dell media direct, but I saw a warning that if I continue the instalation I will miss all my data, I immediatly turned off my computer,

now when I press the power bottom after seconds this erro appear :NTLDR is missing, is there any way that I can recover my data? please answer, thank you so much

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 18th, 2009 13:00

fatemeh

Remove the hard drive from the laptop and install it in a 2.5" external enclosure and connect it a USB port of a working computer and see if you can transfer the files and folders you need to the computer's hard drive.

Bev.

7 Posts

May 18th, 2009 17:00

hi again sorry to trouble you, I am using windows vista,

before I recieve you email I tried this one

Try loading the Command Console using the Windows Vista install CD to repair the Vista startup:

Quote:

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
2. Press a key when you are prompted.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

well, I don't know much about these commands but when I did these commands, now another error appeared :

"BOOTMGR" IS MISSING:emotion-8:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PAITIENT

Hi,

It is pretty simple all you need to have is Operating System Disk. It will be purple or lavender color CD mentioned as " Operating System, Already  Installed on your computer". Insert that disk

Start the Windows XP Recovery Console:

1. Insert the Windows XP installation CD into the CD or DVD drive.

2. Restart the computer.

3. While the computer is starting, repeatedly press F12 every 3 seconds to access the one-time boot menu.

4. When the one-time boot menu appears, press the Down Arrow to highlight the CD-ROM option that appears, which is one of the following options: Onboard CD-ROM Drive or Onboard USB CD-ROM Drive.

5. Press Enter.

6. When the computer boots to the CD-ROM drive, press R to enter the Recovery Console.

7. If prompted, select the number corresponding to the Windows installation you want to repair and press .

8. Enter the Administrator password, if any, and press .

2. Type map, and press . Make note of the drive letter assigned to the optical (DVD or CD-ROM) drive.
  3. Type copy x:\i386\ntldr c:\ (where x is the drive letter for the optical drive), and press .
  4. Type copy x:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\ (where x is the drive letter for the optical drive), and press .
  5. If you are prompted to overwrite the file, type y, and press .
  6. Type exit and press .
  7. As the computer restarts, remove the Windows XP CD.

Regards,

Shaggy

7 Posts

Shaggy I hope you be online now,

well when I pressed R,

and then entered the windows set up, then after choosing language, choosed repair computer isn't it?

I have to write "map" command in  "command promot?

because when I do it, the message appear: map is not recognized as an internal or external command"

would you please help in this case, thank you very much in advance

regards

fatemeh

Hi,

Map is the command to find out which drive is your CD Drive if you are sure in what drive you have the CD then..

(For Ex: if your CD drive is D: Drive then ....)

1. Type copy D:\i386\ntldr c:\ (where x is the drive letter for the optical drive), and press .
  2. Type copy D:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\ (where x is the drive letter for the optical drive), and press .
  3. If you are prompted to overwrite the file, type y, and press .
  4. Type exit and press .

Regards,

Shaggy

Can u tell me what operating system are you using ?

Hi,

7 Posts

shesagordie

thank you , I will try it,

regards

fatemeh

May 18th, 2009 18:00

Hi,

If it is Vista OS just follow this steps

• Click on Repair Your Computer.
  • Click on Command prompt.
  • At the X:\Sources prompt, type bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup and press <Enter>
  • Type c: and press <Enter>.
  • At the C:\ prompt, type cd boot and press <Enter>.
  • At the C:\Boot prompt, type attrib bcd -s -h -r and press <Enter>.
  • At the C:\Boot prompt, type ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old and press <Enter>.
  • At the C:\Boot prompt, type bootrec /rebuildbcd and press <Enter>.
  • The Boot Configuration File will be rebuilt at this point. Once it finishes, type exit and press <Enter>. Click the Restart button

Hi,

Do you have any important data on your computer which you don't want to loose ?

If you don't You can take your computer back to day 1 settings.... But all the Softwares and data will be erased it will take your computer to day 1 settings ...

Take out Disk from the CD/DVD Drive

1. Tap F8 as soon as your computer restarts

2. Choose "Repair your computer" option

3. Choose "Dell Factory Image Restore" ...

Regards,

Shaggy

7 Posts

wow would you have a look at this picture, a guy have had a same problem

http://winvistaforums.com/windows-vista-support/15664-bootmgr-missing.html

actually in system recovery option I can not see any "windows microsoft vista" does it mean that my windows is deleted?

7 Posts

hi again

when I am writing : bcdedit/exportC:\BCD_Backup

this message appear:

an unknown command was specified,

run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance :emotion-6:

Hi

7 Posts

May 18th, 2009 23:00

hi,

finally I understood that "media direct" CD is deleted all of my data :(((

I didn't know that this CD is used for making partitions, and it was a really sad experiment. it was deleted my drivers that's why I couldn't do anything with that, I would like to advice all that are not femiliar t othis CD function, that never install it in an existing windows, it was a very simple but important issue that I paied so much for it.

GUD LUK every body

2 Posts

June 12th, 2009 03:00

Sorry for the late post but just so you know when ever this happens, before you panic always try this.  Hold down the MediaDirect button and the power button until the machine powers down then let go.  This redirects the boot sequence away from MediaDirect.    Hope that helps.

No Events found!