Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2008 06:00

"Start New Thread" is missing most of the time

I am not new to the Dell Community, however, I am posting here out of shear desperation.

I consider myself a person of average intelligence and of average eyesight.  So I could not understand why sometimes I would see the "Start New Thread" link and at other times I would not.  I thought there must have been some step to finding it that I did not know.  I thought perhaps the few times I did find it, it was by some unknown action I had taken.

This morning I wanted to refer a beginner poster in another community forum to this community forum.  I wanted to research all the information before giving it to the other poster.  I have spent the last hour searching this and other boards from the top to the bottom, for the Start New Thread link.  I even read the How to Post wikii and got out the magnifying glass.  I could not find those 3 words!

Then suddenly after searching the other boards and returning here, those 3 words were in plain view.  This is the durnest thing I have ever seen.  Sometimes the link is visible and sometimes it is not!  How can I refer a beginner to this community when I who have used Dell's forums for 2 years, is having difficulty posting?

Is anyone having the same problem?  Whatever the issue, I will be very happy when it is corrected, this is very frustrating and time consuming!

Thank you.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

November 17th, 2008 06:00

Nissi1,  I know you are a member, so you are logged in.  I think you may be looking at the main forum titles, but you need to click on a sub-forum to start a new topic. 

For example:

Virus & Spyware has 2 sub forums:

Malware Removal

Virus & Spyware Discussions

You cannot start a topic in Virus & Spyware, but you can post in the sub-forums.

Do you think that is the problem, or am I not understanding what you are saying? If not, perhaps someone else can jump in here with some ideas.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

November 17th, 2008 11:00

Hi, Zandra,

I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence. It's like moving to a new house. We pack. We move. It's not "home" until we have our "stuff" where we want it, and we learn our way around the new neighborhood.  (Not to mention how uncomfortable we are when the movers walk in with an armful of broken chair legs and say, "Do these belong to you?")

Dell is fine-tuning things more and more each day. Pretty soon we'll be used to our new home.

Have a great day! Visit often! :emotion-1:

322 Posts

November 17th, 2008 11:00

Hello Bugbatter,

It is always a pleasure hearing from you.

I looked into what you suggested and as has been the case in the past, you are correct!  I guess it is about time I rethink my "average intelligence" :emotion-4:.  It is a relief to know the problem was with me and now that I know the solution, I can continue referring people to my favorite forum.  Thank you.

Continued blessings,

Zandra

December 2nd, 2008 05:00

Could we perhaps have blow by blow account of how to start a thread? Why does it have to be hidden away? Doesn't it work imn Firefox??

Look forward to getting some help and helping out when I can!!!

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 10:00

hughmatthews, maybe this will help.

322 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 12:00

Hello Bugbatter,

Again, I thank you for your help.  I no longer have problems posting New Threads.

322 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 13:00

Hello again Bugbatter,

The previous thread posted before I was finished; of course it was something dumb I did!lol

Since we last communicated, I have not had any trouble finding the "New Thread".  However, since we no longer have a General Board, or I have over looked it, it is confusing where to post general questions such as the following:

On the old Dell Forum, it was easy to paste a picture within a post.  Now I am unable to do this.  And, whenever I change the fonts from default, it returns to default every time I enter to start a new paragraph.  Also, several times today I could not access this community at all.  Those times I received a page indicating en.community.dell.com servers were either down, did not exist, or I typed the wrong address.

As always, your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Nissi1

387 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 15:00

Hi Nissi1. :emotion-1:

The two places that I would consider posting general questions like that are New to the Community? and the Storm Room. Since we no longer have the Scratchpad (wasn't that the name?) forum, those seem like good choices although the latter is supposed to be more for ideas.

I see what you mean about the changing font between paragraphs. What I would do is complete the post and then highlight everything that you want to be a specific font and then change it. Definitely not an ideal way to do it though.

Are you using the Insert Media option to upload pictures? I was able to insert the above picture using that method but there may be a limit on the size of images although I didn't see any mention of it on the dialog box to upload.

Hope this helps,

WK

No Events found!