Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2016 16:00

R710 LED power button is off, does not start

Our PowerEdge R710 (Windows 2008 R2, PERC 6/i SAS RAID) does not show any sign of life. Both LEDs on power supplies at the back are green (so, they are operational), and there is a green light ON on the motherboard near the power supply box. However, the power button LED is OFF and if you try to press it nothing is happening.

Front LCD panel is OFF. Pressing system ID button on it (even after holding for several seconds) does not turn the panel ON.

We have tried to reset the server, according to the steps in Wiki "1.3 No Power - No POST - No boot"; however, nothing happened.

What else can we try? Shuffle memory, fans, hard drives? Check the battery?

Please, advice. 

• 

8.4K Posts

July 13th, 2016 11:00

Genep07,

I would recommend pulling the power cables to the server, then open the cover and reseat the control panel connections seen below.

While doing that I recommend taking the server to it's Minimum to Post configuration. That is removing everything but the following from the server;

• System board
  • Risers
  • Processor (CPU1) with Heatsink
  • Power Supply
  • One stick of memory in dual in-line memory module (DIMM) slot A1
  • Control Panel with cable

After that then reinsert the power cables and try powering the server.

Let me know if the server powers or not.

4 Posts

July 18th, 2016 15:00

Chris,

Thanks for your suggestions!

I have tried to complete the steps you proposed:

-- pulled off the cables

-- removed unnecessary pieces: memory, CPU2, fan panel, two hard drives we have purchased (slots 4 and 5)

-- took off the control panel cable from both sides and plugged it in back

-- plugged the power cable back in (just one power box)

However, it still does not turn on.

I have tried putting fan panel back, drivers back, as well as powered the other power box -- nothing helped.

What is suspicious though is that the control panel display is not responsive at all. It flicks with flat orange color at the moment when I plug in the power cable, but then dies out. For another server we have, when the system is powered down, the control panel display is still  working -- you can push the buttons and see the server ID showed on blue background. Could it be just the entire front panel board malfunctioning? I can probably take the board from the working server and try to plug it in to the broken server to see if anything changes. Would it make sense?

I guess I need special screwdriver for motherboards.

I have attached the picture of the entire box:

• 

8.4K Posts

July 19th, 2016 12:00

You can test with the "Known Good" control panel from the other server. That will be the best way to determine if the issue is the control panel, or the motherboard.

Let me know what you see.

4 Posts

July 26th, 2016 11:00

Chris,

I have tested the server with the "known good" control panel from the working server -- it is still not working. So, control panel is fine.

What could be the next step?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 26th, 2016 15:00

You might probably have to consider replacing the system motherboard.

4 Posts

July 27th, 2016 10:00

Hi Robert,

Where can I find SKU or Manufacturer Park Number for this board? Is it printed somewhere on the board? It is not listed in the Purchase receipt.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 27th, 2016 12:00

Based on your service tag, here is the P/N of the service kit for the original motherboard, 95WNP which contains a bare motherboard of P/N 0NH4P. It is advisable you purchase the service kit and not  just a bare motherboard.

8 Posts

October 4th, 2017 09:00

Hello:

Just went through almost exactly the same scenario and it was NOT the motherboard. Stripped the system down to nothing but motherbd, 1 DIMM, 1 CPU, RAID card, NIC, 1 PS etc. and would not power on.

After a lot of investigation, it turned out to be a bad PS....green LED was on, on the back of the PS, flea LED on motherbd was on, could press the I button and get a display but would NOT power on.

Went into the iDRAC and it pointed to 'Input missing' on the PS. Removed this PS, put other PS in and the unit powered on. The defective PS was taking the system down, even when both PS's were in the system.

Tried this PS in another R710 and would not work, yet PS LED was green and flea LED on motherbd on. The only difference between this defective PS and a working PS, is that when you pulled the AC power on the defective, the PS fan would come on for about 3 or 4 seconds.

Hope this helps someone else who runs into this issue....

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 4th, 2017 14:00

Thanks for your kind information!

No Events found!