Start a Conversation

Unsolved

X

15 Posts

October 22nd, 2019 04:00

proactiveHA (esxi 6.7u3) not working with OMIVV5

Hi,

I am using OMIVV version 5.0.0.1361 with VMware vCenter 6.7u3 and ESXi 6.7u3 running on 2 Dell PowerEdge R740 within a cluster.

My goal is to use proactive HA within this cluster to auto migrate VMs if any host fails. On vCenter I activated DRS, HA and proactive HA with the Dell providers:

clipboard_image_0.png

Unfortunately I do not know if I should enable or disable the checkboxes on "Failure Conditions" because of the confusing tool tip which calls me to enable the checkbox in order to "block a Failure Condition". What does this setting mean?

I tested the proactive HA with and without these checkboxes by interrupting one of the two power supplies and by pulling one of the two FC connections to the storage. Sadly none of the two tests triggered the proactive HA to auto migrate the running VMs to the other host in the cluster (the host status of the other host was ok!). The OMIVV recognized the failure and generated a critical alert - which should trigger the host to enable maintenance mode and migrating the VMs by configuration:

clipboard_image_1.png

clipboard_image_2.png

Can you please help me to find the issue here?

Thank you in advance!

best Regards

Sebastian

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

October 22nd, 2019 09:00

Blocking a failure condition essentially means that the system would ignore the alert raised by the iDRAC and proactive HA would not trigger. Checking those boxes would mean that the related description will not start an HA migration.

There are 3 conditions our plug-in checks for  (SD card redundancy/ FAN redundancy and PSU redundancy), and the PSU message you're showing should have caused a fail over. I'm not sure what may have happened, but you might confirm that the boxes are left unchecked and try again. The host should have been dropped into maintenance mode or qurantine mode (depending on how you're configured) and the VMs migrated. 

The only thing that needs to be checked on the Proactive HA page is the Dell Inc plug-in. The column that reads "failure conditions blocked" should say "Yes," as opposed to "No."

15 Posts

October 24th, 2019 01:00

Now I configured the proactiveHA as you described:

clipboard_image_0.png

I removed the second power supply, the OMIVV triggered a critical alert but proactiveHA do not migrate the VMs.

clipboard_image_1.png

clipboard_image_2.png

clipboard_image_3.png

The vSphereHA summary of the cluster shows 1 master and 1 host connected to the master but no host is in the failing state - and all VMs are protected.

clipboard_image_4.png

All in all the migration is not working and I dont know why.

Thank you in advance

BR 

Sebastian

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

October 25th, 2019 06:00

I'd need to get a look at it, to figure out what's going on. The user's guide may be helpful, there's a whole section dedicated to proactive HA.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/openmanage-integration-vmware-vcenter-v50_users-guide_en-us.pdf

15 Posts

October 27th, 2019 23:00

I double-checked all the steps in the guide on section "Enable Proactive HA on cluster" and also I tested the "host credential profile" of the two hosts in the cluster. But all the settings are confirm with the guide and the "host credential profile"-test was successfull.

But it does not work anyway.

BR

Sebastian

15 Posts

November 3rd, 2019 23:00

Hi again,

could it be associated to "problems on migrating VMs with a Nvidia GPU"? I tested the OMIVV and proactiveHA on a VMware VDI cluster - so I tried to auto-migrate VMs with a Nvidia GPU mapped to the VM...

Could this be the reason why the auto-migration does not work?

Thank you in advance

Regards Sebastian

November 11th, 2019 22:00

Hi,

Proactive HA is a vCenter (vCenter 6.5 and later) feature that works with OMIVV.
This safeguards your workloads by proactively taking measures based on degradation of redundancy health of supported components in a host i.e., OMIVV supports Proactive HA only on the platforms that support redundancy of Power, Fan, and IDSDM.

Proactive HA feature is not supported for PSUs ( Power Supply Units ) for which redundancy cannot be configured ( for example, cabled PSUs).

Please make sure following is taken care,

1. Host credential profile is created for the server(s)
2. Inventory of the same has run successfully and OMIVV IP is set in SNMP trap destination of server's iDRAC
3. SNMP traps are enabled for Power Supply, Fan and IDSDM components
4. Redundancy is configured for Power Supply, Fan and IDSDM components
5. " Post All Events " is selected at OMIVV " Event and Alarms " settings page
6. Once DRS, Proactive HA is enabled, Please do select " Dell Inc Proactive HA " provider
7. As soon as above is saved, “ Events ” panel in the VMware vSphere Web Client should receive “Dell Inc” which are events pertaining to OMIVV and Proactive HA.

When OMIVV detects a change in the redundancy health status of supported components (either through Traps or polling), the health update notification for the component is sent to the vCenter server.
Polling runs every hour, and it is available as a fail-safe mechanism to cover the possibility of a Trap loss.

For more details about Proactive HA with OMIVV, please download here.

Also, please refer OMIVV 5.0 user guide for further details.

Thank you,

Kavyashree R

No Events found!