Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

3 Posts

January 30th, 2019 11:00

3060M, CPU upgrade

Hello I have an issue where I have an optiplex 3060M with Core i5 8500T and want tu upgrade to 8700T. After physically installing the Core i7 processor, the PC wont start and an amber light appears (S2). 

I have tried the same processor en Lenovo M920q and it works normally. So the processor is OK. 

Is there any settled time I would have to wait until new processor configures? I found this may happen on diagnostic indicator. 

https://www.dell.com/support/article/pe/es/rc1359938/sln284978/a-reference-guide-to-the-dell-optiplex-diagnostic-indicators?lang=en#2012_to_Present

Please your help.  

205 Posts

January 31st, 2019 16:00

Have you reinstalled the old processor to make sure the 3060 still works?

I've done a lot of CPU upgrades and when I get symptoms like yours it usually means something didn't go right the first time, and I:

a) replace the old CPU to make sure the system is undamaged from the upgrade.

b) slowly go through the install process on the new CPU, making sure everything is flush and completely correctly, the fan-blower header attached to the MB, etc.

If the system boots on the i5-8500T the second time, and the new i7 CPU has no bent pins or other issues, then try to install it a second time.

P.S. the time needed for a CPU to configure is virtually nothing and if it locks up, then something is wrong. If it was a CPU that wasn't available with a 3060M I might worry you need a hard reset, but the i7-8700T is a default CPU option.

February 4th, 2019 12:00

Hello

Thank you for your reply. 

1. Old processor still works

2. We went through the install process twice and the same happened. 

After that we tried de processor on a Lenovo PC and it worked normally. We did the same process twice with same results. 

We may try doing a hard reboot. Which process should it be? Removing que battery and putting it back again?

I'll be waiting for your reply. Thank you

205 Posts

February 4th, 2019 13:00

Wow, that's really strange, as I've taken apart the 3060 Micro a few times (including replacing the fan blower + heatsink) and this doesn't make sense.

And you're absolutely sure it's an i7-8700T and not some other model of 8700? That CPU is a basic upgrade option on a standard 3060M and it shouldn't need any kind of help or magic to fire up.

Is the BIOS fully up to date?

Also, before upgrading the CPU did you reset the BIOS to defaults? I tend to use the standard default settings not the Dell ones. That way, new features of the 8700T (like HyperThreading) are not conflicting with any user-specific settings for the 8500T.

When initially testing any new hardware upgrade, I also disconnect all peripherals like HDs, SSDs, USB devices, network and just leave it at the CPU + memory to confirm it boots. That keeps a lot of extra crepe out of the equation, and if that doesn't work then there might be a compatibility problem with the motherboard.

1 Message

May 1st, 2019 01:00

There is no problem on 3060micro either CPU. i7 you try to put in is not compatible with micro 3060. Even it says it is same TP as i3 and i5 on paper that i7 needs or kicks with more power. I was in same shoes with you to see that upgrade as an oppurtunity for good workstation with little money though power consumption of i7 is far more than i3 and i5 when its loaded. 3060 micro cannot drive it. As you may see there is no i7 option for this 3060 micro in Dell site. 30 watt is not enough for drive i7 even it is 30 watt Cpu cause it may jump higher watt cansumptions, not all time. Cpus generally kicks full speed just second before starting computer checking their condition at that time 3060 micro mother board or power unit cannot give enough power turn the cycle with green thats the amber light.

November 8th, 2022 07:00

I JUST RECOMMANDED CPU INTEL XEON it's very stronger of working tach

No Events found!