Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

May 23rd, 2019 03:00

7010, BIOS corrupted, blinking amber color 2,3 times

At my work I have an old PC Optiplex 7010 and it was still in good condition. I just update the BIOS from A08 to A29 to see if it runs better in Win10 cause it had some hardware or driver problems. While it updates Intel ME, it all of sudden shuts off itself and turns on and blinking amber color 2,3 times 2,3 = 2 amber blinks, short pause, 3 amber blinks followed by long pause then repeats. "system board, memory or CPU failure" according to superuser.com. I'm not sure about it, memory or CPU are fine. There was no lose power plug or anything since other PC are still running. It was supposed to say successful or failure on screen Removed RAM sticks and turned it on, while light with error beeps so it seems the board is still good i guess.

Tried followed this guide https://www.dell.com/support/article/dk/da/dkbsdt1/sln284985/how-to-perform-a-bios-or-cmos-reset-and-or-clear-the-nvram-on-your-dell-system?lang=en nothing helps

I'm been doing BIOS update lot of times on Optiplex machines without any issues. I never seen such

I heard about Optiplex 780 BIOS corrupted and they were told to use ami and award bios recovery but don't know how to use them. I extracted bios from .exe file and got the following files 1_System_BIOS_A.29.data, 4_Intel_Management_Engine_Update_8.1.72.3002.data etc that hopefully might be useful

If you can't help, that's fine. We will buy new PC

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

June 6th, 2019 02:00

I found another newer RAM i can try. As i changed the RAM, it worked again. Turns out updating BIOS causing the RAM to go incompatible. It wasn't broken since it worked fine until update

I know updaing BIOS is high risk. UPS throws your money off in this case when you don't update your BIOS often and we don't have power outage problem. All power and cables are maintained properly and are perfect. Defective RAM, board or Powersupply can also cause it to showdown itself so yeah... UPS is useless

Sorry for making unnecessary post. Should have checked RAM. I learned a lesson

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2019 03:00

Sadly it sounds like the motherboard (and maybe BIOS corruption) is defective.  

Here is the Dell listing of those codes.  Older systems, such as this one, do not have any BIOS corruption recovery and a motherboard replacement is the only option.  New systems have BIOS recovery options.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln284978/a-reference-guide-to-the-dell-optiplex-diagnostic-indicators?lang=en#2009_to_2012

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

May 23rd, 2019 07:00

flashing from a8 to max, in one leap takes, bravery. I'd never do that. not me, (done 1000s of PC back to 1981)

google I flashed my BIOS and is bricked, (the longest story on earth no kidding if you  did)

I use UPS to flash if not you will brick PCs. (no kidding)

try flashing it back to A8 next?

step 1 would be new coin cell, battery, 2.9v or below is a bad coin. get it the h3ll out of there, ok?

step 2, is UPS

step3 is if you know how backup the old bios first., 

I use FREEDOS way to flash, if the BIOS has EZ flash(by any other name) nothing on earth works better, !! and is less risk, of all then FREEDOS 2nd choice. ok?

also getting the wrong flash package is very bad,  some BIOS only work on specific version of 1 motherboard.

some PCs have 4 MOBO choices , and then hw versions, 

we always look very carefully to be sure the BIOS Flash kit matches our hardware exactly, or you will brick many PCs. 

some are easy to unbrick by doing it right and back to a8 then ask how big the jump rules are.? IDK this... sorry

a8 then 10 or what ever you  are told by DELL DO.

7010 what,? MT, SFF, what, did you use the wrong bios for the wrong mobo, in most cases (no pun) the mobo are NOT  THE SAME..

MT, DT, SFF, USFF  what is it? 2012 made, but what motherboard, and they are not the same until DELL told you it is, ok>? you can see the USFF is radically different.

read this first.

if lucky that is called lucky if not lucky things happen the list is 10 long. (and Ive seen more,,,, )

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-common-mistakes-you-should-avoid-when-flashing-your-bios/

May 24th, 2019 02:00

I seen a lot of 7010 with this issues after flashing them over a network . over 30 now, Dell say that it is due a corrupted BIOS file odd that it did 1000 of others without an issues.  

From what I worked out if you trying to flash a bios fore than two level on a 7010 about 1 out 10 it will not work for an unknown reason, I moved the PSU CPU and memory out into a working unit and they been on test for days with no errors coming up.

As there seem to be no Bios recovery you at a dead end and bricked the board.

It is always best to only flash Bios two leves at time.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

May 24th, 2019 06:00

maintence-scr1w.jpg

are they in Legacy mode (CSM ) or UEFI mode????

if the BIOS setting section marked SECURTY, are enable, any of those it will fail.

UEFI blocks many paths to hackers or malware.

why odd?

you picked the most risk filled way to flash update BIOS. sorry but is a fact.

so wonder why sometimes it fails, really.? for sure luck happens, but flashing is not like watching youtube,

if you walk across the road blind flooded you might make it across, 1/2 the time,  toss coin.

why is that different.?

IF your PCs are stable leave them alone, if feel compelled to FLASH, then do it the safe way or pay the price.

there is only 1 true safe way ( if you understand preemptive multitasking OS and how bad that is,,,, all things)

then you know this, way is it. only

this is the most safe way, (I call it ez-flash) that this dell does not have, I think. (bios level flashing way)

100% safe  the PC need to be on a "UPS"  and the RTC coin cell is not dead.

and folks playing with PC while its flashing or tripping on AC line cords.

the PC with ePSA , all tests passing first? no really  a stable PC can flash, but if not , not.

the best way is here, (note that windows is not RUNNING)  what if windows is full of malware, well don't use windows. to flash.

direct Dell quoted.

freedos is the most safe, but below is DELL way.

the F2 bios main page has  Maintence line. click that.

then see the line, downgrade bios,  look; see ;do..

"Run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment if UEFI Boot Mode (Non-Windows users)
1. Copy the downloaded file to a bootable DOS USB key.
2. Power on the system, then go to BIOS Setup by pressing F2 and go to "General-Boot Sequence - Boot List Option"
3. Change "UEFI" to "Legacy" of Boot List Option (if not there already)
4. Click "Apply", "Exit" to save changes and reboot system.
5. Press F12, then Select "USB Storage Device" and Boot to DOS prompt.
6. Run the file by typing copied file name where the executable is located.
7. After BIOS update finished, system will auto reboot .
8. Go to BIOS Setup by pressing F2 and go to "General > Boot Sequence > Boot List Option"
9. Change "Legacy" to "UEFI" Boot Option.
10. Click "Apply", "Exit" to save changes and reboot system

"

if PC is in UEFI ,mode, that is a whole other ball of wax, and I do not help folks with that. ever.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

May 24th, 2019 06:00

power on,

hammer f2

click maintenance,

click downgrade bios.

do not use those ami and award bios  , hacks, or you will never recover this PC ever.

1 Message

July 5th, 2020 17:00

I am curious if the original ram was "bad" or if the system detected a change in ram and that triggered some action like a trip  through bios setup?

Have you tried swapping back the old ram?

1 Message

January 20th, 2023 08:00

Curiously enough, I run into this after BIOS updates occasionally..  Try the old method before taking your PC apart.. disconnect power, press and hold power button until it stops flashing, release for 2 seconds (important, apparently), then press and hold for at least 30 seconds. This discharges the BIOS capacitors. afterwards, power up and you might be fine. Worked on mine a few times so far.

Good to pull and reinsert ram every once in a while.

1 Message

January 23rd, 2024 13:46

This happened to mine after a power cut.It returned to normal only after I removed all the RAM and disconnected power and then pressed power button for a few seconds.After reconnecting everything it finally worked.I have mine connected to an android TV as it surfs the internet faster otherwise I'd sling it.

(edited)

No Events found!