Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 9th, 2018 16:00

7010 MT, PSU and GPU upgrade

Hopefully, this may save someone some time.

Here is a working upgrade combo for the Optiplex 7010 MT (Mini Tower) with the 275w PSU (all other smaller cases have less powerful PSUs).

The PCIe X16 (blue) graphics card slot can supply 75w max. The NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI (single fan, no power socket, 6Gb VRAM) draws 75w max, and a wall socket power meter shows that with this card, the original Dell PSU draws 160w, well below the 275w PSU max (tested using Nicehash on the i7 CPU and the 1050 TI at the same time).

Upgrading the PSU, the sub standard sized Cooler Master V550 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply is a perfect fit. It draws 140w at the wall under the same test conditions, 20w less the the original PSU, it is quieter, and the exhaust air is noticeably cooler.

Next step is to install 2 additional NVIDIA 1060 over the HDD bays linked to a cryptominer PCIe 4 port multiplyer PCIe card. Extra fans will be needed, or I may put the 1060s on top of the PC case in the open air.

Still worth mining if you have free electricity !

367 Posts

August 13th, 2018 19:00

Mining is not worth it with GTX 1050ti's or 1060's honestly at this point the only thing that can make a bit of profit is an Application Specific integrated circuit (ASIC for short). I actually tried a similar configuration and my returns were so bad I gave up on mining for now. Trust me I ran the thing for several months barely surpassed $20 of profit even though I had free power from my school.

No Events found!