Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

18 Posts

October 31st, 2018 10:00

7060 MFF, Error -0001 installing Realtek audio driver

Dear experts: New installation of Windows 10 64 bits LTSB 2016 in Optiplex 7060 micro form factor. All drivers installed ok except Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (latest version downloaded from Dell site with service tag provided) I get the error code: -0001 near the end of the InstallShield Wizard installation (Failed to install Realtek HD Driver [Error Code: -0001] I tried: 1) run driver setup as administrator, 2) reinstall driver after all Windows updates available installed, 3) downloaded again the package and attempt installation. Any ideas? Thank you very much, Mr.Clinker

18 Posts

October 31st, 2018 12:00

The problem is with driver version 6.0.1.8409,A01 which is the last published. I installed a previous version and it worked fine, the version that works is 6.0.1.8378,A00 (May 21, 2018)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 31st, 2018 12:00

The LTSB does not contain music and thus may not support a sound driver, like the regular Win 10 versions.  The Dell driver list for this model seems to be for regular Win 10 versions (?).

Here is a short description of the LTSB version:

Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB (Long Term Servicing Branch) edition is the most lightweight and fastest edition of Windows 10 as it does not contain any modern (metro) apps like Store, Xbox, Cortana, Microsoft Edge, etc. It also comes with classic Calculator and Windows Photo Viewer programs which are not present in any other Windows 10 edition. This version only receives critical security updates and bug fixes and no application updates.  Intended for use in critical stable environments such as Bank ATMS, Medical Equipment, Control Equipment of factories etc. where ultra-stability is required and no need to download large regular updates.  However, the software can still be installed on General Purpose PCS or for Home Use.

Does NOT contain: Windows Apps (except for settings), Windows Store, Cortana, or Microsoft Edge browser, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Mail, Money, Music, News, OneNote, Sports, and Weather.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 1st, 2018 03:00

Then I wouldn't be concerned with another driver.  There's very little, if any, difference in new Realtek drivers.  I'm using a 2017 driver and my sound works perfectly.  

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2 Posts

January 11th, 2019 08:00

We're running into this issue with ALL of our Optiplex 9020s after the Windows 10 1803 update.

The RealTek driver (either from Dell or RealTek) will NOT install.  It errors out, either with a -0001 error, or a 0x0000374 error.

The work-around, we've found, is to install the generic audio driver from Microsoft.  We've noticed no adverse effects from using this driver.

Steps to do this in Windows 10:
1. Open the device manager
2. Find the Realtek HD Audio Controller (may be listed as an unknown device).  It will likely have a yellow triangle next to it.
3. Right-click on the device and select "Update Driver"
4. Select "Browser my computer for driver software"
5. Select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
6. In the next window, you may be prompted for the TYPE of device.  If you are, select "Sound, video and game controllers"
7. Ignore any RealTek drivers and select "High Definition Audio Device" and click NEXT.

This will install the generic Microsoft audio drivers, which seem to work after the 1803 and 1809 updates.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 11th, 2019 10:00

The generic Microsoft High Definition driver works for most.  However, it does not include "System Mixer" which is default for many programs.  Some programs will use other audio but you may have to manually choose the input (e.g. mic).  System Mixer is required to record audio from the internet (what you hear on the PC speakers).

If more advanced audio functions are needed, including System Mixer, the only option is to either use an add on PCIe sound card or USB connected sound device that is current Win10 compatible.  

1 Message

March 12th, 2019 21:00

I could not install the Realtek driver, but the generic MS "High Definition Audio Device" driver is installed. But this works only for Audio output (which is fine). However, the _input_ (microphone via headset) does not work. "Recording device" properties does not show anything. Would you have the same issue?
No Events found!