Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 17th, 2018 08:00

7060 Micro. can the BT & Wireless be disabled in the bios.

Looking to purchase these for a classified area but can't seem to find anyone from Dell sales that can answer if the bluetooth and wireless can be disabled in bios. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 17th, 2018 09:00

Yes. The manual says it can be.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/optiplex-7060-desktop/manuals

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/optiplex-7060-desktop_specifications3_en-us.pdf

Wireless options
Table 29. Wireless
Option Description
Wireless Device Enable Allows you to enable or disable the internal wireless devices.
The options are:
• WLAN/WiGig
• Bluetooth
All the options are enabled by default.

--------------------------

The WirelessLAN card is also removable.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 17th, 2018 11:00

@CapsFanVA wrote:

1. We don't need much processing power as they will be used to ssh and run some web apps.

2. They need to fit in a space of a ... I think the SFF will be too big.

3. mac mini since that is what we are replacing. 

1. Then I suggest you "hands-on evaluate" a OptiPlex 7060 Micro Intel-i5/8gb/PCIe-SSD.

2. Gotcha

3. Switching from macOS to Windows-10 Pro 64bit is for you to decide. Just FYI ... rumor is a new Mac-Mini (Pro ?) might be announced in a month or so.

4 Posts

Tesla1856,

Thanks so much for the quick response and information.  I need to buy 60 of these and would hate to have bought them and not be able to turn them off.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

You are welcome.

And not to get "in your business" but I suggest you might want to order ONE to review it. If it meets all your requirements, order 59 more. If not, return it in a week (or just use in non-classified area).

I suggest you get it with M.2/PCIe/NVMe-SSD. 

If you don't need a crazy amount of processing power, an Intel-i5 will run quieter/cooler.  If your work-flow requires the power of an Intel-i7, the SFF model might be a better choice. It's only slightly bigger and can cool better and isolate the noise (it's less of a "laptop with no screen").

We installed some OptiPlex-5050 SFF a while back (as a favor to a client). Config-ed with the Intel-i5/8gb/PCIe-SSD they are real quiet (virtually silent) and crazy fast. They love them.

4 Posts

September 17th, 2018 10:00

Thanks again for the advice.  We don't need much processing power as they will be used to ssh and run some web apps.  They need to fit in a space of a mac mini since that is what we are replacing.  I think the SFF will be too big.

4 Posts

September 17th, 2018 11:00

As much as I would like stay on the macos platform, it's is just to much hassle to try and keep them updated without an internet connection.  This solution plus a flavor of linux is both cost effective as well as easier to maintain.  This is the challenge of working in a classified area.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 17th, 2018 12:00

@CapsFanVA wrote:

This solution plus a flavor of linux is both cost effective as well as easier to maintain.  

Another good-reason why you might want to "hands-on evaluate" just one for now.

Remember, the motherboards in these Micro units are more like laptops than conventional desktops. I'm speaking to Linux "device support" for cutting-edge hardware.

No Events found!