Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

4 Posts

May 2nd, 2019 08:00

7060 SFF, fans continue to randomly spin at max speed

I've had a 7060 SFF (Small Form Factor) for work for about 3 months now, and it's about to drive me insane. The CPU fan typically spins at an appropriate speed, but every 10 minutes or so, will kick into 100% speed for a few seconds, then gradually come back down to normal over the next 5 seconds.

I'm checking for BIOS updates nearly every day in hopes of a resolution. The most recent update claimed it fixed an issue where the CPU fan erroneously spun at max speed on boot, but that update hasn't solved my problem.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 2nd, 2019 08:00

Something is overheating due to dust bunnies OR the thermal paste has dried out OR a heasink is loose or broken.

May 2nd, 2019 11:00

It was brand new when this all started happening, so I'm thinking dust isn't the answer. I'd hope it's not a lack of thermal grease or poor contact with the heat sink (again because it's new) but I guess I'll check that once I get the chance to shut the computer down later.

I normally wouldn't post on here for issues like these, but I'm still suspicious of faulty firmware because of the first fix listed in the latest 1.3.4 BIOS release: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=08yw8&oscode=wt64a&productcode=optiplex-7060-desktop

It seems this was at least an issue for some others at some point.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 2nd, 2019 13:00

@ckeller_ksu wrote:

I've had a SFF 7060 for work for about 3 months now, and it's about to drive me insane. The CPU fan typically spins at an appropriate speed, but every 10 minutes or so, will kick into 100% speed for a few seconds, then gradually come back down to normal over the next 5 seconds.

Is yours the only OptiPlex-7060-SFF in the office?

Is it under Dell Warranty Contract ?

May 3rd, 2019 12:00

Made it about an hour before the fans kicked up again, so unfortunately that thermal paste didn't make a difference. My CPU is getting up to about 100 C, which is a bit concerning. The fans seem to almost not spin at all until they go up to the max.

May 3rd, 2019 12:00

Mine is the only 7060 SFF in my area at least. I work on a college campus, so I'm sure there are other 7060 SFFs out there - just a matter of finding them. :)

I decided to reapply the thermal paste today. It did seem to be awfully sparse when I removed the old paste - I know some people believe in "less is more" here, but this was truly less. I'm watching CPU temps with HWMonitor right now, so far the temps seem pretty low. No fan spin ups yet, but it's only been 10 minutes.

It is under warranty, so although I don't want to go that route, I guess I will if I have to. If thermal paste wasn't the solution, though, it's like I said - I still am on a hunch that it's firmware related, specifically because this was a known issue called out as apparently fixed in the latest BIOS update.

No Events found!