Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 17th, 2018 07:00

780 DT, Video Card Issue, 1 2 3 Lights

Hello All. I recently got a Dell Optiplex 780 and have been wanting to upgrade from the Integrated Graphics. I have a Dell AMD Radeon HD 6450, And whenever I insert the card in the PCI-e port and try to boot up with the video cables attached to the graphics card, I get no display, with a solid green power button and 1 2 3 diagnostic lights. Does anybody have a solution to this problem? I don't want to end out wasting my money on a graphics card that I can't use. I would also like to get this working for some light gaming.

Here are some specs for my particular machine:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

RAM: 8GB DDR3

I look forward to a response soon. Thanks.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

October 19th, 2018 14:00

Except for the PCI-E slot, good to hear.  Looks like you know where the problem is.  If it's the direction you want to go in, replacing the motherboard for $20 sounds like a good deal.  If affordable and still a good deal (definitely wouldn't want to spend too much), I'd lean toward refurb vs. dusty used.  EBay has a refurb for $17.85 and a 30-day return policy.  Might be where you were looking anyway.

September 26th, 2018 17:00

Still in need of help ... I really need a resolution to this issue.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

September 26th, 2018 22:00

Optiplex 780 .pdf Manual

I couldn't find your GPU listed in the manual.

October 17th, 2018 17:00

The Graphics card is a Dell Radeon HD 6450 with 1GB of DDR3. The model number for the card is 00WH7F. I would think that it would be compatible given it's low TDP of 18w. I read somewhere on a forum that the Optiplex 780 DT motherboard could supply up to 25w on the PCI-E x16 slot. Is this true? And if so, would there be a way to get the card to work? (A little backstory, I tried to put a Gigabyte GT 1030 in here before, and the PC didn't boot. I found out that the TDP for the GT 1030 was 30w, a tad too high for the slot, and now I am wondering if I killed the PCI-E slot and that was the problem all along.) I hope that I can get it to work, because I really don't want to blow $20 on a new motherboard, if it's the problem at all.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 19th, 2018 08:00

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln284978/a-reference-guide-to-the-dell-optiplex-diagnostic-indicators?lang=en#2005_to_2009

123 POV POST complete — Onscreen error message
  • Troubleshoot as per the error message onscreen

Older Optiplex models Do not support  MULTI DISPLAY.

Older Optiplex 980,780,380,960,760,360,755,745, 320 etc.

Attention: Unsupported Video Configuration Detected

Action is Required

This computer has an add-in graphics card, but the monitor is plugged
into the integrated video connector.
To attach the monitor cable to the add-in graphics card:

1. Shut down the computer
2. Plug the monitor cable into the add-in graphics card connector.
This may require a video adapter or video adapter cable.
(provided with the system)
3. Turn on the computer.

This message should not appear after completing these steps.
For more information or help, please refer to the system documentation.

System halted!

October 19th, 2018 13:00

The 1 2 3 lights still appear, even when the single video cable is connected directly to the graphics card and monitor, and not any of the integrated video ports. I'm really starting to think I killed my PCI-E slot with the GT 1030 I tried to put in here. Thanks for your suggestion though, and I am still open to new solutions anybody can think of.

Thanks.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

Troubleshooting in reverse - Without the graphics card, does your integrated graphics (single cable) still work? I think you might be right about the PCI-E slot. I'm wondering if your computer will work normally then or if you still get the 1 2 3 lights.

The computer works fine with the video cable attached to integrated graphics port, and boots right into Windows with no errors at all.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

October 19th, 2018 15:00

I think in the beginning, you weren't as aware of the wattages.  With knowing the wattages, I wouldn't put in a higher watt GPU than what the motherboard can handle.  With having an older computer, it might pay to upgrade instead and get a full tower (more power).

I don't know if your PCI-E slot was already shot or not.  I would like to think that the PSU or motherboard would limit power to prevent burnout, as USB is limited to 5V, but I don't know for sure.  The sticker on my PSU doesn't reference certain slots, and power to the slots is through the motherboard. - Noted some GPU's have separate power cables.

Bummer, I hoping that I wouldn't have to blow the extra cash on a new motherboard. Thank you very much for helping me draw a conclusion to this issue. One last question; Do you think the GT 1030 took out itself with the PCI-E slot? Why I say this is because I don't have a system at the moment to test the GT 1030. If it did, that would not be very good, because those things are like $79. I was also hoping to use the GT 1030 in a future PC.

Thanks.

I guess there is really only one way to find out if the GT 1030 still works. Sooner or later I will get a system that I can test it with, and determine from there what to do. Anyway, thank you so much for all of your help in solving this dilemma. Your posts really helped me draw conclusions regarding this issue.

Thanks.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

You're welcome.

Tip:  If you stay in the Optiplex family, and decide on a newer generation pictured in one of speedstep's images, 4-digit models, like 7010, 9010, etc., are better than 3-digit.  4-digit will be a little newer with better processors and expansion options.  Some people use their Optiplex's as small servers, besides gaming.  Newest Optiplex's need caution with GPU's due to small PSU in the MT.

And good luck with your GT 1030! :Smile:

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

Cool.  Besides eBay, Walmart.com has a lot of good deals on Dell refurbs.

Alright. Later down the road I might get a 3010 MT, I have heard that it is a great option compared to the older Optiplex models. Thanks for all of your help, you have really done a whole lot to help with this issue.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 21st, 2018 17:00

The one exception to this is the 9020 mini tower which has a specific 365W power supply that allows a short GTX 1060 card to be used.

I recently updated my 9020 MT with that supply and a Short GTX 1060 so that it was VR Ready.

You can also use a Moddiy Adapter and a Bigger power supply to put in a short 1070 or 1080.

The other reason to choose 9020 over 7020 or 3020 is more ram slots, as well as other features like an X4 and X16 slot not all X1 slots.

No Events found!