Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

May 4th, 2019 01:00

9010, SSD upgrade, how to?

I opened the case,and I don't see how can I mount/install SSD and where,don't see any brackets which support it.

The only thing what can be done is to leave SSD hanging below power supply.

Can this be helpful,I would remove optical device,plug this adapter with SSD installation?

http://www.genelec.ba/ssd-hdd-caddy-mobile-za-notebook-univerzalni-95mm-gembird-mf-95-01-p2

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 4th, 2019 05:00

What model/version of the 9010?  e.g small form factor, desktop, etc.  Can't talk specific without the actual version.

In general, if you are going to replace a hard drive with an SSD, an adapter the size of a hard drive will fit in whatever carrier/slot the hard drive is in.

Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Valuegist-Internal-Mounting-Bracket-Adapter/dp/B07GLSL6DF/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?keywords=SSD+adapter&pd_rd_i=B07GLSL6DF&pd_rd_r=1cfaaea5-40b8-4d45-b443-011e3e4fe38a&pd_rd_w=gFJk5&pd_rd_wg=efC0y&pf_rd_p=a6d018ad-f20b-46c9-8920-433972c7d9b7&pf_rd_r=V7VBQ9S1WPT0JVFHE7XV&qid=1556972188&s=gateway

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

May 4th, 2019 06:00

It's SFF unit.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

May 4th, 2019 13:00

I uninstalled the ODD and mounted SSD on top of the HDD cage,and zip-tied it.

Done.

8 Posts

August 29th, 2019 20:00

I realize this thread is old but it is in the top search results so I wanted to save others time by posting my over-engineered solution (requires removal of the optical drive).

I considered ordering one of those crappy, aftermarket ODD caddy adapters. In fact, I did order one and then I canceled the order when I came to my senses. Those caddies are a bad workaround, not a solution and some folks have reported issues with them so I asked myself, “Why introduce another interface in between the SSD and the bus?”

Since the Optiplex 7010 & 9010 SFF only allow for 1 –HDD or 2-SSD’s with OEM brackets, where can you squeeze in a SDD? Well, I never use the optical drives on any of my workstations so I removed it from my 7010 and purchased an ODD blank bezel bay filler (JDDXD 33VKR) from eBay. This blank fills the hole which was occupied by the front of the DVD drive. Now I have plenty of room to add my SDD. I also purchased a SATA Power Y-Splitter Cable and I already had a longer SATA data cable (both are required).

After removing the DVD drive, I created a mounting bracket out of a thin aluminum sheet. I suppose you could also use a piece of aluminum flashing, which could be cut with scissors, but I wanted something a little thicker. I made it so that it lays flat and fits snuggly on the bottom of the DVD drive bay (top of HDD cage). The empty black plastic ODD holder slides on top of it and locks it in place. I mounted the SDD diagonally (it’s under the plastic holder) so that the SATA connectors are not on a bind.

After drilling the holes, I laid the bracket on a piece of wood and drove a small flathead wood screw into each hole to create the indentations for the mounting screw heads so the plate lays flat. Works great and no worries about speed reduction or issues caused by using those cheapo caddies.

bracket.jpg

bracket.jpginstalled.jpg

January 15th, 2020 12:00

For the Dell Optiplex 9010 DT version, you add the SSD under the HDD caddy and MAYBE above the CD Drive. You can find spare screws above the CD drive behind the face plate

Spare screwsSpare screws

SSD under HDDSSD under HDD

No Events found!