Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

O

1 Message

May 4th, 2023 22:00

Any recommended 6pin to 3 sata power supply cables that allows 3 SSDs on Optiplex 7060

OptiPlex 7060

OptiPlex 7060

I was wondering if I could use the optical drive to put one 2.5" SSD and then put another 2 2.5" SSD on the HDD caddy. Theoretically, the MB has 3 sata data ports, but the power cable provided only supports 1 HDD/SSD + 1 optical drive. 

If what I want to do is possible, which EXACT mini 6pin to 3 SATA power cable could I use to achieve this?

If what I want to do is not possible, I know I could have 1 3.5" + 1 2.5" or 2 2.5",  but which splitter EXACTLY is the recommended one to use for this case?

Thank you.

8 Wizard

• 

6.2K Posts

May 5th, 2023 03:00

As you mentioned, the power cable provided only supports 1 HDD/SSD + 1 optical drive. 

You can add a SATA power splitter cable to the existing supports 1 HDD/SSD connector.

sata power splitter.jpg

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

May 5th, 2023 05:00

Chino already presented a working solution which was used in Dell factory for 9020 sff too when psu has only one regular sata power connector but there are two 2.5” drives.  A few additional points: motherboard white sata port for odd may be slower sata 2 than black/blue ones (sata3).  if you use white port for ssd there may be a speed compromise.
you may also consider adding a m.2 sata ssd which is supported by this model (unless you already use a m.2 nvme ssd on motherboard).  this would waive the need for additional sata power.
Dell also makes proprietary mini 6 pin to 2 regular sata power cable, but you need to be careful of pinout compatibility with 7060.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 5th, 2023 16:00

A couple more points here also:  2 SATA SSD's can fit in one HDD slot with an adapter that fits in the blue caddy.

4 SATA port PCIe card could also be handy.

This doesn't override if you want to use m.2 SATA SSD.  There's PCIe cards to handle more of those too if one runs out of slots.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 5th, 2023 19:00

On an Optiplex 7060:

... as they said, you can split any SATA power-cable into two with a Y-Adapter.

On this computer, all SATA ports are the same speed (SATA-3/600).

If the machine supports NVMe-SSD via on-board M.2 slot, you really should be using that for your C-Drive (as it is like 5 times faster than any SATA-3/600).

No Events found!