Unsolved

O

1 Rookie

• 

124 Posts

October 25th, 2018 15:00

Cannot copy large files. Starst then stops. Win 10x64 1803

Hi,

This 9020 small has been great up until now. Have had several USBs plugged in to various ports back and front and up until it seemed all worked with large avi files.

Now I buy a new 2TB and place it in a Simplecom ext box and I find I cannot copy to it from another same box. I go further after much testing and see it will not do it to/from any drive.

As the Simplecom is USB 3 I had both drives plugged into the back USB3 ports in my tests. I also tried other drives in the other ports and noting works. All started copying then stops.

During my many tests I ended up messing up a drive in one of the ext boxes and had to find then partition and in doing so lost some files, so not too happy about that !

This morning I turned the box on and decided to plug both ext drives into the front USB 2 ports. and tryn to copy a 78GB file.  Now I see it working! and is nearly finished.

The new 2TB drive was always fine as were the others but it seems it is maybe some of the back USB ports especially the USB 3 ones.

In my tests I checked for drivers, uninstalled them from Dev Mgr etc, checked with Dell Assistant and other driver programs yet nothing came up that any drivers were missing.

Any help here please about what this problem may be.

Many thanks

oz

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Unless The Drive is formatted EXFAT or NTFS there will be a file size limit of 3 gigs.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

External USB-3 drives disconnecting is certainly nothing new. Personally, I prefer FireWire and/or Thunderbolt but everyone wanted faster, easier, self-powered, blah-blah-blah ... so we live with it.

You can test your ports with a flash-drive. With anything other than a flash-drive ... it's usually better if the HDD is "self powered" with an AC-Adapter. Obviously, using the same UPS as computer. The cable should be short and heavy gauge.

Other than that, it's likely the enclosure's controller (or its chipset). If you must "build your own" ... we have found these to be good (and they support UASP) Orico .

This is nice for troubleshooting because it supports "Verify". https://fastcopy.jp/en/

1 Rookie

• 

124 Posts

October 26th, 2018 01:00

Many thanks for your replies. I do appreciate your help.

You know I tried yet another Simplecom ext box and this is what happened.

I first plugged it into the front and it didn't work then into the back USB 2 and it did work with files over 78gb.

All my drives are NTFS and the externals all have their own power supplies.

When you suggest using a Flash drive to test, you mean ones that can take files over 20GB, correct ?

I'd really like to know what ones are working correctly, but have been confused whether it was the ext boxes rather than the ports so the Flash drive will make it clearer.

I will try that Fast copy too and will see if we can get those ext boxes here in Australia.

Thanks guys

EDIT:  Shame Fastcopy isn't in the right click menu.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 26th, 2018 07:00

1 Rookie

• 

124 Posts

October 29th, 2018 22:00

Many thanks

No Events found!