Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

November 17th, 2020 11:00

Core i7-4790K CPU in Optiplex SFF-Caution Advised

This is largely copied from another thread and details the adventures and misadventures of installing a Intel Core i7-4790K (!) CPU in an Optiplex 3020 SFF. I purchased a fan/heatsink from the next generation of Optiplexes, p/n J9G15, which kept the current i5-4590 comfy cool, 5 degrees cooler than the RD6XXin Intel's Stress Test. But as you see, it just barely kept the K processor out of thermal failure, even with the vaunted Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste. "Purchased a used i7-4790K and tried it. The MBD BIOS recognized the CPU, I was able to enable Hyperthreading, all fine. Except... CPU core temps skyrocketed to 95 degrees C on startup, and that copper core fan/heatsink and case fan *roared* at max speed during stress testing, somehow managing to keep the core temp just short of 100 C. I would've had a quick thermal shutdown with the original heatsink. I unintentionally tested many of the thermal protections, including the limitations of the Optiplex thermal profile, and backed out before I did damage to the CPU. Replaced the i5-4590, all good on the desktop. Since i7-4790's were in the field on these Optiplex office machines which are being resold widely, I don't think I'll have the same problem with that one. "This was a success *only* in that I didn't kill the processor. Now I must test E-Bay's return policy..."

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

November 27th, 2020 08:00

Continuation of the story. *K* processor returned and refunded (thank you E-Bay), and I installed the Core i7-4790 "locked" version. As you have seen, there are ex-office 3020/7020/9020's, mini tower and SFF, coming to market with the i7 CPU. If there had been chronic overheating problems in that environment, a Helpdesk would have complained *loudly* to Dell, passing the heat on from their end users. With current BIOS, it works swimmingly, Hyperthreading enabled. Now the question of thermal comfort...

I had already upgraded the fan/heatsink from the stock RD6XX to a later J9G15- copper core and more powerful fan. Fit perfectly, and kept the stock i5-4590 5 degrees cooler (max 69 deg C) in the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility's Stress Test. Lesson- an 84W TDP is only part of the thermal equation. Increased frequency = increased heat. And so it went stress-testing the i7-4790. It *was* hotter than I expected, max 82 deg C, but the computer's thermal profile comfortably kept the CPU temps around 80 with NO temperature alarms anywhere, no thermal throttling, and no current throttling (an improvement over the i5). Without sounding like a server room- CPU and case fans were only at 2/3rds of max speed. So I am content that, for what we are using it for at home, it will run without calling attention to itself. Will I carry it as long as I carried an Optiplex 745? Probably not. At that point, my wife will insist on a laptop.

Thought- A *K* processor would be forever underutilized on a Optiplex MBD that you cannot overclock. Or fiddle with fan speeds. Remember what this product line was created for.

If you are looking for a reliable and still-quick office desktop on the cheap, as I was, the SFF will do nicely. If you're looking to create a "budget gamer", the mini-tower will give you more breathing room inside and a much wider ranger of upgrade options. Unless you're keen on the packaging challenge...

Peace.

1 Rookie

• 

44 Posts

October 27th, 2022 16:00

Did you run a test with stock cooler on i7 4790 to see the difference?

Between the copper and aluminum core heatsink?

No Events found!