Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2020 23:00

DELL Optiplex 9020 Displayport to hdmi

Hello guys. I have bought 3 refurbished similar machines DELL Optiplex 9020. These machines has only Displayport. I use DP to HDMI converter (in attachment). I send video + sound - this is why hdmi. I have used this sollution for ages without problem. But it works only  on 1 machine. Does not work on other 2 machines  (connected with the same reduction on the same TV). Vga outputs work ok on all machines.

I have made preventive upgrade of all drivers using Support Assistant, but it does not help. What can I do more ? Please can you help me find the way  ? I have used this sollution on many DELL computers  before without problem.

displayport.jfif

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 11th, 2020 22:00

A Dual-Mode Display port output either DisplayPort or TMDS (Transitional-Minimized Differential Signaling) from the DisplayPort output connector, enabling the support of DisplayPort, DVI , and HDMI WITH SOUND monitors.

Audio out on Display port is OPTIONAL and not on all models.

Prior to the updated Dual-Mode Standard release, Dual-Mode cable adaptors were limited to a TMDS clock rate of 165MHz providing support for display resolutions up to 1080p with 60Hz and 24 bits color WITH NO AUDIO.

DUAL to HDMI.JPG

ONLY DUAL MODE ++ HAS AUDIOONLY DUAL MODE ++ HAS AUDIO

• 

25.1K Posts

February 6th, 2020 17:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to write back whenever you are available.

2.5K Posts

February 7th, 2020 08:00

read DELL CHRIS post 1, tell what case your PC has first please. 9020 means near nothing lacking a case.

FORMFACTOR = CASE.

and what is in your PCI-express X16 slots?????

I guess you mean the TV is blank screened or the  TV input page shows that HDMI port is dead,?????????

I use DP to HDMI converter. (some work others do not) for sure too long cables.

FIRST OFF NO TELLING IF ALL PC' S RUN GPU CARDS AND WHAT THOSE ARE.

TO A TV, what TV make and model,

are you booting the PC connected or hot Plugging the poor thing.?????

tell exact DP port you use , be clear there, even photos wow.

The HDMI has many issues. I will list some. LIMITS

• some HDMI (all ends, PC, GPUcard, adapters  and cables do not hot plug. at all or are flaky
  • the HDMI port pin 18/19 pair power on that pin is limited to 0.050amps, and things that need that can fail.
  • the HDMI below 1.4 may fail on things below that.
  • the HDMI does not support HDCP. once connected streaming fails.
  • Some TVs may not like your adapters, eDID , information page, ident) and not allow it.
  • not turning on TV first? then PC? connected first.? keep in mind the adapter may be dead until PC is on.
  • or the reverse of that, and then the 3rd way is hotplugging  2 ways, to PC first or to TV first , wow.
  • The adapter you have has chip, inside, and needs power, how it get that varies, by brands.  some get power from HDMI and others DP and other both,so there is no way to know but to experiment.

if you are hotplugging HDMI or DP , you need to say that first.  as that can in fact fail easy.

the best solution is buy GPU cards with DP and HDMI, like my GTX1650 has,  get better smarter HW.

mine has all but old VGA. '

how LONG ARE YOUR CABLE (both HDMI and DP) ???

or GO HDMI grade adapters , is is guts /chips. you are best served with smarter chips, PS176 ,example.

PS176-block-20170501a-simple

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 7th, 2020 14:00

I do not see Display port ++ on the 9020 ports.

This also requires the INTEL HD video driver.

2.5K Posts

February 8th, 2020 07:00

the 10,000 + post by OP's with no case told, endless...

2.5K Posts

February 8th, 2020 07:00

wild guess, MT,  for a fact he said it plugs in and I believe him,  this is MT, mobo, clear.

9020mt.JPG

And of course if you have MT and 2 ports there and like mine with GPU card and  2 more DP ports

the above ports are dead and 100% NORMAL THAT>  4 DP ports easy as pie, with GPU cards. 2 go dead with card as all posters here know.

1 Message

July 11th, 2020 19:00

Hi Miramira,

I've purchased quite a few Small Form Factor Dell 9020 PCs for resale, plus I use one myself and I too have experienced problems when using DP > HDMI adapters similar to the one in your picture.

In my situation the problem had nothing to do with the 9020's drivers or settings, but rather the adapter...if I'm not able to fully plug the male end of the adapter into either of the 2 integrated DisplayPort jacks on the back panel of the computer, the signal does not pass through. By "fully plug", I'm talking about inserting the DisplayPort side of the adapter into one of the jacks until it is deep enough for the teeth on the plug to latch inside, holding the DisplayPort connection securely in place.

I haven't noticed any adapters listing the length of their DisplayPort plugs, but when I tried a different design (the kind with a short length of cord between the Male DisplayPort plug and Female HDMI connection) the one I chose did have a slightly longer DisplayPort plug, just long enough to lock securely inside the rear jacks...they cost a little more than the original lot of adapters I had purchased that are designed like yours, but they've all worked great in the Dell 9020 SFF & DT units I've set up since.

Here's a link to the exact model that I've been buying on Amazon:

Benfei DP to HDMI Adapter

I hope this helps anyone seeking a solution for the same problem I had.

No Events found!