Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 15th, 2022 06:00

DVD/CD drive will will not burn/write on an Optiplex 7020

The drive HL-DT-ST- DVD+-RW GHB0N will read DVD/CD perfectly well, but will not write

I suspect this occured after upgrading to Win10 from Win7

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drive but it doesn't help

On inserting a blank DVD I am asked to format it, but no such option is available on the drop-down list when accessing the drive.

Help gratefully received as I find many other posts elsewhere from people with the same problem, but no solution that works in my case

4 Posts

May 18th, 2022 07:00

Thank you for that suggestion about changing the driver, but I'm afraid that doesn't solve the problem.

I'll instal a stand-alone burner.

Thank you everyone for your help

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 15th, 2022 06:00

Sounds like you need a disc burning program.

Try the free CDBurnerXP which is compatible with Win 11.

This model is not supported for Win 11 by Dell.  Obviously like many other non-supported models Win 11 can be installed but no guarantee that all hardware is Win 11 compatible.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 15th, 2022 07:00

@Mje_UK 

@fireberd 

Media Suite Essentials for Dell

media suite essentials  9nn8bss5n72f

Download this unique launcher to help access the powerful video editing, playback and disc burning software included in CyberLink Media Suite Essentials. The CyberLink launcher ties all the applications in Media Suite Essentials.

4 Posts

May 15th, 2022 07:00

Thank you for your reply

I actually run Win10 as the PC not comptible with Win11.

I would have thought that all I needed was a driver to replace the one which I presume got carried over when I ran the upgrade from Win7 to Win10. Or is it simply that Win10 no longer carries "in-house" disc burning software and that therefore I have to use an additional non-Microsoft package ?

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 16th, 2022 17:00

One option - I use Nero 12.  It also comes with some DVD burners, like LG for one has the free option.

Nero 12 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B009DZGMGE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_i_Q9NEZ77EJT6M88RWNNJ5

I'm not sure how a 7020 does, but my 7010 is slow for video editing.  It can edit, then, when it comes time to compose the video, slow.

4 Posts

May 17th, 2022 01:00

Thank you for suggesting the Nero burner.

What still puzzles me is that I also have an Inspiron 3668 which was delivered with Win10 pro and which operates as if it has a native disk burner, in-built to Windows. However my Optiplex 7020, which was delivered with Win7, appears no longer to have in-built disk burning capability after upgrading from Win7 to Win10. Hence I have two Dell desktops, both running Win10, only one of which has a disk burner incorporated into Win10. Can anyone please explain why I need to instal a non-windows product on the Optiplex 7020 but not on the Inspiron 3668 ?

Thank you

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 17th, 2022 06:00

I can't answer why one has it and the other doesn't.  Possibly because it is an upgrade from Win 7.

I haven't used the built in Windows burning since at least Win 7 and maybe before.  I have audio CD production for my recording studio and used the (buggy) Roxio and then changed to Nero and use the Nero BurningROM app for CD/DVD burning.  

Most third party burning programs offer more options and flexibility.

Nero is not free.  Another free and popular DVD burning program is Imgburn.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 17th, 2022 10:00

With the device plugged into PC, go into Device Manager.  Find the icon at the top of the window that's for updating hardware and click on it.  There's a few icons at the top of that window.  Gotta put the arrow on it to see side bubble to see what it is.

I've had to that to wake things up on occasion.

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

May 17th, 2022 14:00

On my (much newer) system I had problems writing to optical because of bugs in the AHCI driver that comes with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology package. On the advice of the author of ImgBurn, I switched to Microsoft's AHCI driver and that cleared up the problem. If you're not using RST-specific features (e.g. RAID) you can try the Microsoft driver, and if it doesn't help you can always go back.

In Device Manager, if you find something like "Intel(R) ... SATA AHCI Controller" under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" here's how to swap in the Microsoft driver:

• Double-click the Intel device to bring up the Properties window.
  • In the Driver tab, click Update Driver.
  • Click "Browse my computer for drivers," then "Let me pick from a list..."
  • You should see both your current Intel driver and "Standard SATA AHCI Controller," the Microsoft driver. Select that and click Next, and it should install.
  • Reboot to complete the installation.

Not sure that's what's causing the problems, but perhaps worth a try.

No Events found!