Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

June 24th, 2022 10:00

Dell 3060 not remembering Power Management settings

Hello,

We have several optiplex 3060's that forget the Power Management settings. Settings like Deep Sleep Control and WOL settings. I am not sure what triggers this. BIOS is password protected so no one can change it. All other settings are retained when this happens.

Is this a bug? Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Thanks!

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

June 24th, 2022 19:00

CMOS batteries should last around 5 years, so I'm not certain that's it.  I would suggest replacing one of them and see how it behaves.  I did have Sony batteries last me only 2 years.

Also, when do the settings change?  Do they change after booting into OS, then shutting down, then check the settings in BIOS?  Then it might be the software.  Just changing the time in Win10, or any Windows I know of, changes the time in BIOS 

If none of the above, it might be time to change the password, especially if it's been the same for the last 4 years, around the age of the machine.  You may know, more frequent password changes are generally recommended.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

June 30th, 2022 08:00

It was the CMOS battery. Pulled the battery and the Power Management settings were wiped. Tried on a few of our 3060's and they all did that behavior. Seems odd those settings are tried to the battery but now I have a solution to this issue.

Thanks for suggesting that bradthetechnut!

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

June 26th, 2022 09:00

Although the settings affect things that happen when the system is asleep or (possibly) shut down, my gut feeling is that power management settings are saved in the Windows registry and not in the BIOS/NVRAM. The fact that it's happening on multiple systems I would suspect is due to management practices common to these particular systems. Mind you this is my opinion drawn from general experience, and not specific knowledge of what does/doesn't cause these issues.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

June 30th, 2022 10:00

You're welcome!!  : )

I don't know what brand they use, or if it's more than one, but I don't think Dell starts out with Duracell or Energizer batteries.

No Events found!