Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2021 11:00

Dell Optiplex 3040 boot guard verified failed

Whenever I turn on my dell 3040 it shows the following

Boot Guard verified failed System will shutdown Press any key

I tried a bios reset but the system just hangs and the power button blinks orange 3 times, stops, then 6 times, stops and goes back to three and continues forever (dose that mean anything?). I also tried a new CMOS battery, new HDD, new sata cables, and pressing f12 on startup to force it to boot to windows (which didn't work). Any idea of the issue and do I need a new mainboard to fix it?

Thanks for any ideas!!!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 13th, 2021 13:00

Boot Guard DXE failed system verify due to a corrupt BIOS. The affected user encounters the error message right after the manufacturer’s logo is shown when the system is powered on.

Bios recovery with USB2 fat32 device may be only option.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

June 13th, 2021 14:00

20 Posts

June 13th, 2021 16:00

Neither of those solutions worked with a 4gb fat32 formatted usb with the BIOS_IMG.rcv. it still says "boot guard verified failed" any other ideas?

*Update* (5 minutes later)

I kept on turning it off, pressing esc and ctrl and repeating untill it gave me the option to reflash the BIOS!!!!

Thank you for all the help that you provided

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 13th, 2021 17:00

4gig flash drives are FAT16 not fat32

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000132453/

16 gig or 32 gig USB2.0 FAT32 flash drive is REQUIRED for full recovery including windows reinstall.

The other reason is that once bios is fixed you can use the SAME USB 2.0 flash drive with the media tool to make WIN10 installer.

SDCZ60-032G-A46

FAT16 EXFAT NTFS etc are not supported. Small 4 and 8 gig drives are too small for the base image now.

The media tool works

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

They are not horribly expensive but they are often faked.

which is why you should buy retail to ensure you arent getting a fake one.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-cruzer-32gb-usb-2-0-flash-drive-black/9288807.p?skuId=9288807

1 Message

November 18th, 2021 07:00

Omg thanks!!! 

A friend gave me his Dell Optiplex 3050 and it had the same exact problems as what OP had. I tried everything, including pressing the Ctrl and Esc together when turning on the computer, nothing worked and I was about to give up and bin it. 

Then I found this thread and followed your advice using the USB method on a FAT32 USB 16Gb stick. For this model, it was a direct rename of the latest bios to BIOS_IMG.rcv in the command prompt to my USB stick. No need for any messing around with HDR or ROM as some Dell models require.

This time, pressing Crtl and ESC together when turning on the computer worked! A menu loaded giving me the option to flash the bios with the one I provided or going back to the default. I chose the one I provided and everything works now. Awesome!

1 Message

February 29th, 2024 15:59

My dell 3040ssf same problem

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

March 1st, 2024 01:43

What have you tried so far to fix it?

No Events found!