Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 4th, 2019 15:00

Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF & 10TB sata hard drive

From what i can tell in the forums indirectly, my attempt to connect a 10TB hard drive (as second HD) won't work because:

1.  The bios cannot handle anything above ~2TB

2.  The rich mix of TeraBytic fluid is too much for this Win7-esq mainboard & CPU.

Is there any way to upgrade the bios to handle this? Other thoughts? Because of it's lower power consumption the reason why I'm doing this is for storage of all family files, etc.  I got a great deal on the drive as an external USB, but I'd rather have it in the SFF.

3 Posts

December 18th, 2019 10:00

No solution Found!

I installed the hard drive into another computer that was not this Dell and it worked out just fine.If anybody has some bright ideas please do share otherwise I'm moving on!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 4th, 2019 16:00

No there is no way. Buy another external hard drive that you will still have when the old computer dies. If you still have win 7, it is time to upgrade.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/windows/end-of-windows-7-support

3 Posts

December 4th, 2019 16:00

Thanks. I should have mentioned it IS upgraded to windows 10

Any difference Mary G?

478 Posts

December 18th, 2019 13:00

Greazy,  moving on is probably for the best unless you buy a new dell. Dells are known to be extremely picky machines, and they are not supported after a few years.

Good luck, and be glad you have another computer that works with the drive.

52 Posts

March 11th, 2020 13:00

I know my 7010 MT can handle 8TB drives no problem (under Linux).  Came here looking to see if 12TB will work with the current BIOS. 

13 Posts

April 15th, 2021 13:00

I hung my 10TB off a dual SATA card hanging off the PCIex1 port. Wasn't recognized or accessible when connected via the SATA ports on the MB. Working fine now and I imagine this new Dual expansion card would support 12TB's and maybe larger.

No Events found!