Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 7th, 2019 18:00

Disable case fan?

I have never used these forums before so I hope I do everything correctly.

I have an Optiplex 790 that I use for gaming and other general things. I have replaced the rear exhaust fan (also called HDD fan) for a kind that is plugged into a Molex connector of my PSU. Because it does not plug into the 5-pin HDD fan header, whenever I boot up my system I get a hard drive failure notification. I would like to know if there is any possible way to stop this alert from appearing without having to buy some type of adapter or replace the plug on the new fan.

Thanks! 

573 Posts

March 8th, 2019 04:00

Hi @Cole425120 ,

Generally the F1 BIOS alert cannot be disabled as it's a safety control. However, you may refer to this thread regarding similar issue.

CATION! The workaround solution that talks about linking wire pin from HDD fan connector to CPU fan connector is not provided by Dell. Try it only if you know well on what you're doing, and do at your own risk.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 8th, 2019 04:00

Dell uses the same kind of fan as others but the wiring order is different on some models.

There are Fan Adapters for this so that you can use standard fans.

3 wire and 4 wire fans.

https://www.amazon.com/1Pc-Dedicated-Adapter-Conversion-Cable/dp/B07L4BK4L1

DELL FAN CABLE On some modelsDELL FAN CABLE On some modelsWhite or Yellow is TACH signal.White or Yellow is TACH signal.

March 8th, 2019 14:00

@bmcowboy Thanks for showing me that thread! Since I still had the OEM fan I took the plug off of it then plugged it into the HDD fan and the CPU fan with the yellow wire. Now I have no more HDD fan alerts!OEM plug with yellow wireOEM plug with yellow wire

2 Posts

March 7th, 2021 06:00

• What did you do with the yellow wire? I have the original fan so I want to try the same thing. 
No Events found!