Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 19th, 2018 10:00

February 14th update breaks mouse keyboard on Dell Optiplex SFF models

The mouse and keyboards drop off after the last patch Tuesday update on Feb. 14th 2018.

If we unplug the mouse or keyboard and plug it in it appears to install BUT they do not.  They show up as unknown devices.

We have tried all the usual suggestions.  Uninstalling the USB hub and the devices and the same issue the mouse and keyboard will not install.

We have turned off USB sleep have tried various BIOS settings.

We have done rollbacks that work but a few days later the issue has come back.

We have seen this ONLY on our 3040s and 3020s, about 10 so far. 

When we try to manually reinstall the mouse and KB; windows states NO DRIVERS FOUND.  The devices show as unknown devices with the right names wired dell keyboard and HID compliant mouse.

As another workaround we have the device drivers in a separate folder and we can manually update the mouse and KB that  that way.  BUT if the user moves the mouse or KB to another port we would have to do the manual install again.

Mouse and KB are the only items being affected.  Printers are not and other USB devices.

We see the issue whether on the 3.0 ports or the standard 2.0   What is odd is that when we install the driver it works for that port.  If we move it to another port, windows doesn't install the driver.  we have to manually install it.  And then if we move between the ports we manually updated the mouse or KB will still work.  if we plug into another port we DID NOT manually update then the mouse or KB will not work, we have to install the driver again for windows to recognize the port. 

Anyone else seen this issue and any solutions?  This has to be MS Update glitch.

February 19th, 2018 10:00

This issue only seems to affect ONLY HID USB devices

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

February 20th, 2018 04:00

Looks like it has probably been caused by the MS KB4074588 patch. Can you try uninstalling it and let us know how you get on?

3 Posts

March 7th, 2018 10:00

At least you can logon to the computer! 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 7th, 2018 11:00

The March 6th update, Microsoft has issued KB4090913 to fix their mess up on previous update that caused USB problems.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-releases-kb4090913-update-to-fix-critical-...

8 Posts

March 7th, 2018 11:00

I had the same problem with an ASUS MB.  The HID mouse drive was corrupted during a Windows update.  Windows tried to reinstall the driver and it failed to install.  I was able to do a restore 1x and the driver was immediately corrupted again when I plugged in a USB drive.  I could only resolve by reinstalling Windows 10. 

19 Posts

March 7th, 2018 13:00

the mouse and keyboard do not work except with BIOS; how do you install the update without a mouse/kb and cannot log into Windows?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 7th, 2018 14:00

Those that were affected and had disc image backups (such as a Macrium Reflect full disc image) were able to recover.  There was some Microsoft instructions on how to recover but probably most didn't have what was needed to recover and had to do a clean install.

Neither my Dell Inspiron 15 or my ASUS motherboard desktop got the "bad" KB and luckily I wasn't affected.  I do have recent disc image backups of both so I could have recovered had it zapped me.

No Events found!