Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 21st, 2018 17:00

Gtx 950 doesn’t work in optiplex 960 sff

Alright, this is an extremely stupid question, and before I begin I will say I have some basic tech knowledge. Heres what’s happening, it is my little brother’s birthday, and he’s been using a dell optiplex for Minecraft and such. Now Fortnite is the big thing and he wants it on his pc. Problem is, his pc is not good/meant for gaming. So my parents bought him a gtx 950 to power up his system. I use the 950 in the system, but the pc doesn’t detect the card. I believe this is a UEFI compatability problem, but I think there are people with more knowledge than me. I just need to know if all hope is lost and my brother won’t be getting his gift or if there is an alternative.
- ps I am powering the card with an external psu, and using the 16x pcie slot

37 Posts

May 22nd, 2018 04:00

Hey Mesogo.

The Optiplex 960 only supports PCIe cards in the x16 slot up to 35W and the GTX950 is a 90W card even with external power it might not properly run.

Out of curiosity how are you connecting the card to the system? Do you have a low profile GTX950 or are you using a PCIe riser/extension cable?

Also how are you turning on the external PSU?

5 Posts

May 21st, 2018 17:00

What’s goin on

5 Posts

May 22nd, 2018 04:00

I am using a pcie riser. Thanks for the answer.

5 Posts

May 22nd, 2018 13:00

Dude, you helped me so much unintentionally! I wasn’t shorting the psu! IT WASNT POWERING THE CARD. If it weren’t for your comment on my psu I would be **bleep**! You are a legend man!!!!

37 Posts

May 23rd, 2018 01:00

I thought that might be the case, its a pretty easy thing to miss honestly.

Glad its all working now anyway! Hope your brother enjoys Fortnite!

No Events found!