Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

July 6th, 2022 08:00

How can I unpin Dell Optimizer from Optiplex 5090 and Latitude 5530 Dell image?

We got a large shipment of Dell Optiplex 5090s and Latitude 5530 machines for our yearly equipment cycle. We've noticed in the 2022 Dell Windows 10 Professional image that ships on these, a Dell Optimizer icon is PINNED to the taskbar for all users. If I unpin it for me and another person logs in, they have as well. We tried uninstalling the program but eventually, Dell Command Update puts it right back on. We don't want to remove Dell Command Update because we use it to keep drivers up to date. Dell Optimizer is in the list of "Recommended Updates" alongside of things like Ethernet, Sound Intel Management Engine, and Intel UHD Display drivers, so we can't just disable the "Recommended Updates" category as it contains some good stuff. If there's no way to keep Dell Optimizer off the system, is there any way to prevent it from being pinned to the taskbar? When we onboard a new PC we go into audit mode and run a script off a USB stick to take bloatware off. Then its rebooted went through OOBE and joined the domain. Then we run a PowerShell script that installs all of our software and prereqs and between that and GPO settings it's able to be moved in Active Directory to an OU where it needs to be and then placed in service out in the field. There's no reason for Dell Optimizer from taking up taskbar space. The average user is never going to run it, in fact, its not even a program one would need to be pinned. It's not like Outlook or Word, or a web browser. You don't use it every day, so why would this need to be pinned? That's like if Dell would say, let's pin Dell Command Update to the taskbar. These maintenance-type programs can be found and run from the start menu when needed. Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

July 6th, 2022 13:00

Re:  is there any way to prevent it from being pinned to the taskbar? 

this may help.

Starting in Windows 10, version 1607, administrators can pin additional apps to the taskbar and remove default pinned apps from the taskbar by adding a  section to a layout modification XML file.

Configure Windows 10 taskbar (Windows 10) - Configure Windows | Microsoft Docs

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

July 6th, 2022 14:00

Thats a good find, we'll look into that for sure!

My next step is to try this in an admin powershell:

Get-AppxPackage -Name "DellInc.DellOptimizer" -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers

No Events found!