Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

July 12th, 2018 08:00

How to get media / iso for a windows 7 reinstall

Hi,

I bought a refurbished OptiPlex 980 last year and now I want to replace the internal sata HD with a sata SSD.

So, I'll need to re-install windows, however I didn't receive any media with the machine, everything was installed and working.

I tried Dell OS Recovery Tool but it says that there is no image available for my service tag.

I tried do download the .iso from Microsoft but I got this error while validating the windows key from the label (Windows 7 Pro OA (I don't know what the OA means)).

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

I can't chat with DELL support because the warranty is long gone.

So, I'd like to ask if someone knows what to do ?

Thanks in advance.

• 

17K Posts

ocsav,

Unfortunately, Windows 7 iso is not available for downloads. You will need to search the internet or ebay for a Windows 7 disk.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

there is no image available for the service tag which means it does not have Valid WIN7 COA sticker on the box because it did not ship with windows 7 pro.  I see this often with 980 and earlier because the system has VISTA Business SLP and COA not windows 7.

If you do in fact have a valid windows 7 SLP key in bios a Dell Specific Windows 7 PRO DVD will reinstall and won't ask for a key and will be validated once online.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Windows-7-professional-64-bit-SP1-/273350949555

Dell is not allowed to distribute this anymore because windows 7 and 8 are in EOS soon to be EOL mode.

3 Posts

July 12th, 2018 09:00

Thank you for your reply.

This is the label on the computer.

I'll try to find a CD on ebay, if not, well, there are other sources.

I assume that this license will allow me to activate windows after installing it in the new disk.

win-label.gif

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 12th, 2018 09:00

Posting pictures from users doesn't work here.

All we see is a Trangle.

You should never post a clear text version of your key.

The dell specific DVD would activate via the SLP key in bios IF it has a windows 7 pro key.

If it asks for a key then the SLP is NOT in bios.

3 Posts

July 12th, 2018 10:00

Sorry, 1st time here, didn't knew that the pics don't work.

I removed the key before posting the pic.

It says

Windows(R) 7 Pro OA
DELL(TM)
[barcode]
J5VWM

etc...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 13th, 2018 06:00

A Dell media will not ask for the key.

An OEM system builder DVD would also work and take the key from the sticker.

Windows 10 1803 will install with the "I dont have a key option then select pro"

Once installed and online you run SLUI 3  to enter the key from the COA.

1 Message

March 21st, 2019 16:00

Did you ever get your issue resolved?  On the original hard drive is the file still there to make your recovery disks?  If not can you image the drive with Acronis or similar software?  Dell does offer the original factory image but not for free and it's on USB stick

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 21st, 2019 17:00

Windows 7 is at end of life.  Microsoft also pulled the digital river downloads.

So the only way is a DELL OEM or OEM System Builder media.

Dell is no longer allowed to sell recovery media nor is any other vendor.

You can find these on ebay amazon etc.

Its still better to just start with windows 10 1809 and install with the I do not have a key option then run SLUI 3 from admin command prompt to use the 7 key to activate.

No Events found!