Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

309 Posts

January 3rd, 2022 10:00

How to use 64 bit BIOS Flash Utility - want FULL info

I would like to know everything about the 64-bit BIOS Flash Utility - what is it for, and how is it used? 

I also want to know about advanced uses.  Can it repair-restore a PC that is dead after a bad BIOS flash?  Can it be used to roll back the current BIOS to an older version?

Most importantly, can it be used to flash a slightly modified BIOS file into the BIOS?  (I might add an instruction pointing to a new NVMe M.2 SSD or its driver into the BIOS so that my older PCs can boot off it,)

I want everything, including command line parameters.

FYI - i have both a Dell Optiplex 7010 MT and a Dell Optiplex 3010 MT.  Those are the ones in whose BIOSes I might add the reference to a new NVME M.2 SSD, which otherwise they won't boot from.

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2022 11:00

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000135555/how-to-update-dell-system-bios-in-winpe10x64-environment-using-flashupdate-tool

bios flash is risky. Dell 64 bit flash tool cannot resurrect bricked mobo after failed flash.  downgrade flash is sometimes impossible w tool if a new version introduces significant update.

user may resort to usb programmer to force flash on a bricked CMOs chip, but that will void Dell warranty and such practice link may get cancelled or deleted by Dell moderator.  

some user suggested using clover to bypass bios inability to support NVMe boot.

NVMe-boot without modding your UEFI/BIOS (Clover-EFI)

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2022 12:00

The author of article is a Microsoft MVP Professional, so I trust he knows what he is writing/doing.  I would give him a thumb up.

He also authored an article how to flash bios of bricked Area 51 R2 mobo using usb programmer.  

PS I am not IT professional just an amateur with a computer hobby.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

Just an fyi that the 7010 & 3010 don't have BIOS recovery.  Newer systems do.  If it helps, included in the following link are list of systems that support BIOS Recovery.  It has Recovery levels 1, 2, & 3.  "Dell BIOS recovery" can always be Googled too.  https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000132453/how-to-recover-the-bios-on-a-dell-computer-or-tablet 

309 Posts

redxps630 - could you give me the link to his article how to flash bios of bricked Area 51 R2 mobo using usb programmer?

If I do this, I want to be as ready as possible for problems.

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

309 Posts

redxps630 - what do you think about the following article?  I have a 7010 MT and am thinking about this.

https://www.tachytelic.net/2021/12/dell-optiplex-7010-pcie-nvme/ 

309 Posts

January 3rd, 2022 13:00

bradthetechnut - yes, I saw that article.  I had the impression that the article was showing me how I could still install or somehow utilize that "BIOS recovery" tool on my 7010 and 3010 even if my models don't have it natively..

Am I wrong about that?

Thanks.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2022 13:00

@glnz. Though the 7010 & 3010 don't have BIOS recovery, I haven't heard of any users doing BIOS recovery on those 2 models, nor any BIOS programming.  Just being able to update BIOS.  Newest BIOS for those models you may know go back at least a few years.  Having the latest BIOS is a good idea if upgrading hardware.  Otherwise, we tend to be a little more toward leaving it.  You know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Reason being is if anything sensitively goes wrong when updating, the things brick.

There have been claims in this forum of modifying BIOS on an Optiplex, even modifying to have overclocking.  But as magic as that all is, the users would never answer as to how to magically do it. 

One thing I might suggest is to make sure size 2032 CMOS battery isn't 5+ years old so that it doesn't cause problems.

No Events found!