Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

March 6th, 2018 14:00

Installing more RAM in an Optiplex 990 tower

Hello Dell Community,
I've been going crazy trying to install new RAM into my Optiplex 990 tower for the past couple of weeks with no luck whatsoever, so I'm sincerely hoping that somebody here will be able to assist me, or point me in the right direction.
Firstly, my current set up supports 32GB RAM (+using a quad core Intel i7 processor) so maximum RAM capacity is not an issue.

My tower came with 4 sticks of 1GB RAM, listed here: https://www.amazon.com/KINGSTON-KTW149-ELF-DESKTOP-PC10600-128MX64/dp/B00RY224TW

I'm trying to install 4 sticks of 4GB RAM, listed here: https://www.amazon.com/Super-Talent-DDR3-1333-Memory-W1333UB4GV/dp/B0047Y1HIO

I figured this replacement would work, as they are both PC10600 1333MHz, 1.5V, etc..

In trying to install the new RAM (which I have 6 sticks of total, from my last tower) I'm running in to some peculiar issues. Trying to flat out install 4 of the new sticks causes the computer to just not boot at all, leaving "no display" on the monitor. The weird part, however, is when I plug in any of the sticks in only the 1st slot by itself, the computer will boot using just that 4GB of RAM. It seems that any other configuration other than just 1 stick alone in the first slot causes the computer not to boot.

I am very confused as to what would cause these results, and also, if the only option is to purchase new RAM (absolute LAST resort), I'm not sure what I should even go for. If I was to go by a comparison to the RAM that came installed in the tower, the RAM I have is what I would get anyways.

This has been driving me nuts, so any help with this would be unbelievably appreciated. Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 6th, 2018 15:00

For non Dell branded memory, Crucial is a good choice as its guaranteed to work in a Dell.  There are some that won't work or are iffy.  No particular memory as a particular branded memory will work in one and not in another.  Only sure to avoid is the Kingston "Value RAM" as it has generally been an issue with many.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for//optiplex-990-mini-tower

2 Posts

March 7th, 2018 14:00

I appreciate the response, but I am much more interested in looking for any help I can get with installing the RAM I already have with this system, or at very least, what could be causing the issues that I'm experiencing with it.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 7th, 2018 15:00

I would suspect compatibility with the 990.  I've been on this forum since 2002 and have seen many memory compatibility issues.  And, there can be problems on one of a certain model and another of the same model can work OK with the same memory.

You could try clearing the BIOS (CMOS Memory) and see if that helps.  

To clear the BIOS, with the PC powered off, remove the CR2032 battery on the motherboard for at least 10 minutes.  Replace the battery, observing polarity, and try.

March 2nd, 2020 13:00

Update Your Bios to Version A21 or Higher (I am running A23) then try the ram and make sure you dont have different ram sticks they Should be all from the same brand.

Also if you dont see any gpu you have to add a dedicated graphics card and i recommend a 1050 ti then you can game at 60 fps or higher on 720p, high setting or depending on the game 1080p, high settings.

No Events found!