Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2019 02:00

Need to find Compatible PSU For Dell OptiPlex 960 Mini Tower

Hello Fellow Dell User & Staff,

I need to replace my PSU for a Dell OptiPlex 960 MT but am unsure of what compatible PSUs will work. The Model Number on the PSU is F305P-00. Any guidance or information would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance either way.

2.5K Posts

March 5th, 2020 03:00

960MT

any work if not too long, up to 750watt are not to long,  and as great benefit a full set of cables, unlike any DELL..

go modular. (semi)

when doing this act,  make sure the new ATX standard PSU does not have low amperage, +3 and +5v rails

255 sets the lower bar... 15amps. seen below..   Corsair 550 up is prime cut.

960pb.jpg

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

December 14th, 2019 05:00

This forum post should help. Read speedstep's post as it refers to a Corsair PSU which will work and fit perfectly.

2.5K Posts

December 14th, 2019 06:00

oceans link is dead (answering me for MT only  !!!!)

no purpose stated, running  an old , 300watt GPU card? (I have  one) purpose matters, big time?

you look at your  PC,  760,780,960,980 have PSU cases that are ATX shape and sized but the 24 pin connector  is NOT it is  Dell only (odd duck) micro connector.(on some cases)

the tricky part is what mObo is actually there,

the DT/MT most times is ATX jack but not sff or usff.  I look first. the black connector most times is micro. not ATX spec.

if need be (look first)

so buy the $5 adapter and use any ATX PSU. up to 700watts longer can hit thing like DVD drive.

is is one line answer,  here,  and posted on this forum like 1000 times.

the choices are seen on EBay ,  dell does not sell parts for old PCs  so....ebay or endless www searches, sure.

to see both DELL WONDER JACKS, see here. photos wires and facts all.

now dah rules:

1: fits case, new PSU ATX will, up to 700watts MT is ATX phy sized.

2: adapter is needed if mirco sized black  psu jack seen on mobo. sff has this micro black jack.

3: do not fail to read the old PSU sticker and buy only new PSU with same amps on each rail or MORE AMPS.

here is 960mt real,  if you see this it NEEDS no adapter. see yellow color of 24pins, bingo, ATX std. sized.

mt960.JPG

255watt  more watts and for sure more amps. amps are what matter,  and at the same time. 220w 12vdc min.

960psu.JPG

and last most of these will work, 500 to 600watts, and also more quality. cheap $15 PSU are junk not just weak.

Hi, The link provided does not take me to the page. It says

You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

Hello, Sorry but I do not understand clearly what it is you are saying. I apologize.

December 14th, 2019 07:00

I actually did do a search to be precise but did not find anything pertaining to my question that was usefull to me. I have 2x2TB HDD and a Asus Low profile 6450 HD Video card.

2.5K Posts

now the search you did not do.

Dell 960 MT PSU

bingo search links do not go dead, I hope.

the other  problem beside reason for this new PSU

is not telling what you have inside the large MT, case.  (photos of it work wonders)

got a video card there?, or 3 HDD, or  are there other power hogs. IDK> what you have there.

planning future power hogging GPU card,?  endless lists of them i can post but...???

we consider needs now and say 1 year from now. is best.

2.5K Posts

the MT is ATX spec, PSU

buy what ever you want,

you never stated PURPOSE first, (or old one is dead?)

People change PSU for 2 reasons,the  old one let out smoke, died.

or are doing upgrades and need 300 more watts, im completely clueless your reasons.? sorry, reasons matter.

and one more, (me) i upgrade to get ride of old PSU due to old  and aging PSU caps inside!, and fear blowing up my $300 CPU, and $300 GPU card. (with 5 way PSU internal protection too, OCP ,OVP etc.)

yah. upgrades can be just QUALITY RELATED.

or even green related for 90% rating. saving the earth. for sure not to look cute, sure.

2.5K Posts

December 14th, 2019 08:00

your F305P-00.

is 305 watt PSU now.

MT

is plenty for that slow low powered GPU card.

2.5K Posts

December 14th, 2019 08:00

precise3

what does this mean and relate at all to Optiplex 960 MT.

the 960 will take any ATX PSU if not too long, it has ATX spec case and connectors.

what matters is why you want one,  I can not guess why you  need  PSU.

not me, (lots of reasons) but not one stated,.

ok 6450 low profile does not fit any MT,  unless it's a low profile with high profile J bracket. and are common.

the 6450 is 27 watt max card,  (aka fea power) it runs in any PC  if it can plug in and not hit things.

why do you need a new PSU?   newegg.sells 100s of PSU that fit and work. I could post them all day long an not repeat.  (up to 700 watts, fit, over that the get longer and can hit the DVD drive,  if present that, no photos by you of inside any PC,  and matters.

but good luck to you and happy holidays.

December 20th, 2019 04:00

My PSU went out. The 305w was ideal. I know my way around a PC but need to know what will work to replace the OLD PSU as finiding the exact replacement made by Dell is a challenge. Any links to PSU will work.

It is a 24 pin white/yellow connector on the MB as well if that helps. Thanks in advance.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

December 20th, 2019 17:00

Have you tried Amazon, eBay, or newegg to name a few?  Google might present more sale options.  I used "Dell Optiplex 960 MT PSU" for a search term.  "Power supply" could take the place of "PSU."

March 4th, 2020 22:00

Any links to an after market PSU that would fit and work would be great.

No Events found!