Closed

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

March 24th, 2023 09:00

New OptiPlex 7000 machines overheat while sleeping

OptiPlex 7000

OptiPlex 7000

The organization I work for purchased 100 Dell OptiPlex 7000 machines a couple of months ago. I have deployed about 20 of them so far and of those 20 deployed machines, at least 4 that I know of have had significant overheating events. Three of them are on Windows 11 and one on Windows 10.

What I have seen is that when the user tries to awaken the machine in the morning it is unresponsive, and the side of the box is extremely hot where the CPU is mounted (also same spot as the 3 video DP plugs). After pressing the power button for a while it eventually wakes up the monitor and shows a white screen with the following text:

! SupportAssist detected a high system temperature. Ensure all cooling vents are clear of obstructions and uncovered when in use.(Previous Thermal Failure) Alert! Previous shutdown due to thermal event. [Continue]

After clicking on Continue it switches to a blue screen that says:

Recovery
It looks like Windows didn't load correctly
If you'd like to restart and try again, choose "Restart my PC" below. Otherwisd, choose "See advanced repair options"
for troubleshooting tools and advanced options. If you don't know which option is right for you, contact someone you
trust to help with this.
[See advanced repair options] [Restart my PC]

After clicking restart the fan(s) go to maximum for 20-30 seconds and then things seem to return to normal.

This is apparently related to the machine going to sleep. It had been reported by users to have happened multiple times before info got to us in IT and we realized the dangerous condition and started paying close attention. I have disabled sleep in the bios for those 4 machines, and will probably now need to do so for the other 16 deployed machines, and 80 which are yet to be deployed. I would dearly love to come up with an answer that assuages the after-hours-fire concerns of my superiors so that I didn't need to disable sleep on this many machines. Not that it's a massive amount for us to absorb, but a sleeping machine uses 1-2 watts while a resting machine uses 7-8 (as anecdotally measured by my Kill-A-Watt meter). Multiplied over 100 machines that's 600 watts overnight of waste.

After the issue I ran DELL Command Update again and had it install the 1 new critical update it found.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?DriverId=8K52D

This BIOS driver doesn't seem to have any sleep or overheating. Here are the two listed fixes:

- Fixed the issue where the Show Password option is not displayed under the Wireless Networks in the BIOS setup.
- Fixed the issue where the system reboots repeatedly when USB bootable devices with longer product name and serial number are connected to the system.

I also ran the few "Recommended" updates that I had not run before. I'm not confident though that any of them would address what seems like a critical issue.

I opened an incident with DELL support but they didn't seem particularly interested in digging into this. So here I am hoping someone in the community can help me with some ideas.

Thanks,

Paul

Community Manager

• 

2.6K Posts

October 17th, 2023 15:46

New BIOS 1.17.0 released today: Dell OptiPlex 7000 System BIOS

Please let us know if you're still facing any issue after updating.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

March 24th, 2023 10:00

I neglected to mention something interesting I found yesterday...

In the Event Viewer of the machines that are having this issue, at least the two that I’ve looked at, they have this line repeated 20-30 times in the log… always outside of working hours as far as I’ve seen.

USB device draining system power when system is idle.
USB Device: VID:   0x3F0 PID: 0x522A REV: 0x100
Removal action failed: QueryRemovalInitiated

Looking at one machine that has NOT overheated I didn’t find any of those log entries. Two positives and one negative is still in the anecdotal camp… but it’s intriguing.

8 Wizard

• 

6.2K Posts

March 24th, 2023 15:00

Sound like an issue that only Dell support can assist with.  Likely motherboard replacements.

As for the error in Event Viewer, try to disable USB power share in BIOS.  It's a long shot but won't hurt to try.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

March 27th, 2023 09:00

Dell support wasn't very impressive. I doubt it was even USA based. I spoke with a "Peggy", who said it sounds like a "software" issue. Me personally, I'm leaning towards firmware, and so I was rather disappointed with my support encounter.

Thus far the issue has not re-occurred for any of the 4 machines after I disabled sleep mode in the BIOS. And unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce the issue here in the lab. I don't know what it was that was different about the 4 machines to which it happened, and there are people working on those machines every day, so it's hard for me to justify making them switch again, particularly since the new machine I'd give them may have the same issue. Barring any revelations I'm just going to suggest we disable sleep for the 100 PC's.

1 Message

March 28th, 2023 19:00

Can confirm this is happening in my organisation as well. Have checked Event viewer logs on one of the machines (though will check more) and have received the same event- 160 times in a 12 hour space.

USB Device: VID: 0x46D PID: 0x843 REV: 0x21
Action taken: SurpriseRemovalInitiated 

and  

USB Device: VID: 0x8087 PID: 0x33 REV: 0x0
Removal action failed: SkippedAsPersistentIoObserved

3 Posts

April 8th, 2023 14:00

Hey, I have the same issue as described here, exactly.
while I don't have hundreds, but only 2 of these units (optiplex 7000 micro)
and taking in consideration that I paired the units with I9 12900 (65w)
makes me very nervous and edgy.
the units are (extremely) overheating while in rest/sleep, means that happens while there is no real action.
it's like the cpu draws wattage like crazy and keep trying.
usually while working the issue doesn't seems to be, which adds weirdness into that issue.

that was purchased in the USA,
now in a different country,
tried to transfer warranty and talked to a rep on the phone, at first they were responsive
but they quite didn't helped and also didn't make the transfer of warranty because I insert wrong purchase info ?
I purchased these directly from DELL website, it seems like they shake off from that issue.
emailing DELL is a pure nighmare.

as you guys described it there might be an easy F/W fix.

bottom line is very poor customer service from DELL, and it seems like a known issue without any
statement from DELL that's make think
I realy thought different about them
all my laptops as well are DELL branded (5 of them).

now i'm thinking how to get rid of all that equipment.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

April 10th, 2023 00:00

Are these machines SFF or Micro?

Can't quite discern which from the description.

I can't offer anything to the conversation, but I'm interested because I have recently purchased a 7000 SFF and so far I'm very happy with it but will probably be wary of letting it sleep too long.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

April 10th, 2023 14:00

Sorry... I should have put that in my original post. They are SFF (Small Form Factor) machines.

We have deployed around 50 of them so far. I have disabled sleep mode in the BIOS and made certain to run ALL of the "DELL Command" updates. I still occasionally hear about a machine here and there being unresponsive after sitting a long time, though I have not heard of an explicit report of overheating. Just unresponsiveness to the keyboard, mouse and even the power button.

1 Rookie

• 

124 Posts

April 11th, 2023 08:00

Paul,

Wow, this is epic. Dell is no different from the auto manufacturers, when you have a problem they'd like you to believe you're the only one, otherwise they'd have to do a recall, and that costs $$$.

What processor do your machines have?

And has anyone had any problems with the 7000 Tower?

Thanks.

April 12th, 2023 10:00

It sounds like you are experiencing a serious issue with your Dell OptiPlex 7000 machines overheating and shutting down during sleep mode.

Update the BIOS: You have already updated the BIOS with the latest version, but you may want to double-check if there are any other BIOS updates available. Sometimes BIOS updates can address thermal management issues and other hardware problems.

5 Posts

June 11th, 2023 08:00

Home user with a new OptiPlex micro having the same issues. Have installed all Dell provided updates through the Dell Command app. Issue persists.

1 Message

June 23rd, 2023 08:00

Can you specify if all your PCs are using the integrated graphics with all 3 video ports connected? We have a similar case with one user who uses all 3 ports compared to the rest who just use 2 ports. I am thinking it is a hardware issue and having only 2 monitors resolves the issue.

3 Posts

June 25th, 2023 14:00

for me it's sometimes 2 and sometimes 3 monitors connected, but happens anyway

have to stress that all hardware and windows updates are installed including bios updates

5 Posts

July 26th, 2023 22:00

Anyone had success on this? I have the same "USB device draining system power when system is idle." system warning. Device appears to be my Dell U2422HE monitor with USB-C dock.

Community Manager

• 

2.6K Posts

August 18th, 2023 13:02

Calling all users!

If you are facing this issue you can now access our test BIOS version and be among the first to experience new features and improvements. If you want to be part of this phase, please contact our agents by clicking on Get Help Now or send a private message to Dell-Cares.

The global version should be released soon after the testing phase.

(edited)

No Events found!