Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

5 Posts

November 26th, 2022 15:00

No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine.

So my dell optiplex originally had a hard drive, which had windows installed. Then I decided to get an ssd, and simply replaced the hard drive with the ssd, installing windows onto that ssd. Now I want to have both the ssd and the hard drive installed, of course, having my computer boot up from the ssd. But when I have them both installed and try to boot the computer, it displays various messages such as “No boot device found. Press any key to reboot the machine.” I would like to know how to fix this, boot my pc from my ssd, then clear the hard drive. 

8 Wizard

• 

6.2K Posts

November 26th, 2022 15:00

As soon as you power on the machine, continuously tap F12 until you get the message one time boot.  Look at the offering selection menu and identify your SSD drive, using arrow key to highlight the SSD and hit Enter, it will boot into Windows.  Then you can clean your hard drive via Diskpart.

A couple of things to note, you would want your SATA operation = AHCI, and you also want to change storage settings to store all contents on hard drive except for apps. 

November 26th, 2022 21:00

When I do that it says “Selected boot device failed. Press any key to reboot the system.” I also do have the sata operation at AHCI. So I don’t know what to do. 

8 Wizard

• 

6.2K Posts

November 27th, 2022 04:00

If you were able to boot with SSD prior to adding the hard drive back, then Windows might have been corrupted the boot partition of the new SSD.  This usually happened when there are multiple bootable Windows running at the same time.  Since you are ready to clear out the hard drive, I assume that either you already have your data backup or you don't need them.  To keep your new Windows clean of any error and no wasted time for troubleshooting, just simply reinstall Windows with both drives in system.  Delete every partition you see and you should be left with 2 unallocated drive.  Select the SSD and click on Next (to install Windows).  Do not create partition or format yourself.  Once you have your Windows installed, use Disk Management to format the hard drive.

November 27th, 2022 09:00

Im ready to do it I just have one question, I initially had the license for windows 10, then upgraded my pc to the windows 11 beta, do I get the install media for windows 10, or 11?

8 Wizard

• 

6.2K Posts

November 27th, 2022 10:00

It's your choice, as long as staying with the same version Home to Home, Pro to Pro. 

No Events found!