Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

September 16th, 2019 14:00

OPTIPLEX 3020 SFF 2x4gb 8GB 1866MHZ RAM UPGRADE Possible

hi i have an optiplex 3020 sff and i put in some corsair vengeance ram 2x4gb at 1866MHZ but it wont boot. i know the max supported speed is 1600mhz but from what i understand it should have ran it under clocked at 1600mhz instead of the full 1866mhz. is it that the bios is outdated or the ram is useless and i must get ram clocked at max 1600mhz. running i3-4150.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

September 16th, 2019 18:00

It should work as Crucial also indicates that DDR3 1866 is compatible as is DDR3L 1866. Have you tried one stick at a time in the first slot and if they both work try the same procedure in the second slot, alternating the single stick of RAM. This should confirm the integrity of both RAM sticks. If the system will not boot with one of the sticks at a time then you may have a bad stick of RAM. Dell systems are picky though and Corsair should work but it is possible that the sticks are not compatible in which case try Crucial RAM.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

September 16th, 2019 19:00

If you want to update BIOS first, you might try installing the old RAM in which the machine was running, then update BIOS.

If it helps, from the Optiplex 3020 Owner's Manual:

• Memory modules of different sizes can be mixed (for example, 2 GB and 4 GB). But, all populated channels must have identical configurations.

• Memory modules must be installed beginning with the first socket. NOTE: The memory sockets in your computer may be labeled differently depending on the hardware configuration. For example, A1, A2 or 1,2,3. • If the quad-rank memory modules are mixed with single or dual-rank modules, the quad-rank modules must be installed in the sockets with the white release levers. • If memory modules with different speeds are installed, they operate at the speed of the slowest installed memory modules.

No Events found!