Highlighted
shamill
1 Copper

OS recovery error occurred while extracting image file

I'm having trouble creating a USB recovery drive.  I have a Optiplex 9200 that the hard drive went out.  I'm trying to create a USB recovery using my Dell XPS 8700 and keep getting the error "Sorry. An error occurred while extracting image file G13K9_PW4KGAoo_W7SP1Pro64_ROW(DL)_20180125-0406.iso. Please check the file and try again." 

I've tried multiple USB thumb drive as well as downloaded the Recovery Tool on another computer, repeated the process and keep getting the same error.  HELP!

3 Replies
Goyf
1 Copper

Re: OS recovery error occurred while extracting image file

I am having the same problem. I can't even find the iso. file on my computer to use Rufus. Moreover, I called Dell and they would not help me because I am out of warranty. It seems like many many people have this problem and Dell is refusing to provide a solution. 

0 Kudos
Mary G
6 Indium

You are posting to an old question. Nowadays with windows 10 you don't need to use any 3rd party programs. Just use MS Create Media tool to make installation media to install or reinstall windows.  

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

Follow the directions carefully and make sure to select the download for the same version of windows that matches the one you have now that is activated.

0 Kudos
Prasadbankar
1 Copper

The image you downloaded should be contain some errors so machine is showing error 

Try lettest version of that iso 

0 Kudos