Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

2 Posts

January 20th, 2019 13:00

OptiPlex 7010 DT, add a 2nd HDD?

Currently I have a 120 GB SSD running and working fine. I bought an 256 GB SSD and connected it with SATA and Power cables, free for additional drive, I guess. 

Problem is that the 2nd SSD is not recognized. Are there any set-up I need to do ?

40 Posts

January 20th, 2019 23:00

The FIRST time you start Windows 10 for example, after installing a second drive, Windows may not be able to see the new drive at all.   Shut down and restart Windows and it should see the new drive.

Then you will need to start Disk Management, locate the device and initialise/format the new drive and assign a drive letter to it.

If new drive is still not visible to the operating system, restart the PC and repeatedly hit the F2 key when you see the Dell logo. This will take you into F2 setup.  Then go to Settings -> System Configuration -> Drive

Is the new SSD listed, probably as SATA1 device ?

Check that all 3 SATA ports are enabled (ticked at top of the screen) too while you are on that screen.

If you cannot see the new SSD in the list, and to rule out faulty SATA port or cables, turn off the PC and replace the original 120GB SSD with the new SSD and see if it is visible in F2 setup as SATA0 device?

If F2 setup still cannot see the new SSD drive, then the SSD is probably faulty.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

January 21st, 2019 14:00

The only thing I would add is the path to Disk Management.  Control Panel > Computer Management > Disk Management.

2 Posts

February 6th, 2019 03:00

Thank you both. When looking in the F2 setup, I see SATA-0, SATA-1 and SATA-2 marked. I also see ; SATA-0 Type = 126 GBHDD Devide ID = Intenso SDD Sata III SATA-1 Type = 250 GB HDD Device ID = WDC WDS250G2BOA-OOSM50 SATA-2 Type =None Type =None So I did not change anything. After restarting Windows 10, i go to Settings, System Configuration, Drive; It can still not see my drive. When the F2 setup is able to see the drive, I take that the cabling should be OK ?

2 Posts

August 7th, 2020 23:00

Did you ever figure it out? I’m having the same problem. 

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

August 8th, 2020 17:00

Hi @Mats83,

So what did you try already to try to get your 7010 to recognize a 2nd HDD?

2 Posts

August 8th, 2020 18:00

I’ve tried removing it. Switching ports. When I go to bios I see m; SATA-0Type =None Type =None SSATA-1 Type = 250 GB HDD Device ID = WDC WDS250G2BOA-OOSM50 SATA-2 Type =None Type =None

Its a 7010 thinner one with the 4 USB ports on the front in a row. 

No Events found!