Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

April 27th, 2018 15:00

Optiplex 3050 with NVMe SSD - Unable to boot from disk

Bought the Optiplex with the M.2 already installed as primary drive and Windows 10 pro loaded. All was working fine till about one or two days after I installed a Western Digital 2TB Sata HDD. From there on the M2 is invisible in Windows 10 but visible in the bios (ver 1.6.5). Tried everything suggested online with no luck: bootrec, disk management amongst others.
When I start up from the supplied disk I could interrogate the drive via command prompt. From there it was evident that the whole windows structure is still intact, pity the PC won't boot from it. Any suggestions? I really want to try everything before I wipe the drive.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 27th, 2018 15:00

@GinoGwrote:
1. Bought the Optiplex with the M.2 already installed as primary drive and Windows 10 pro loaded.

2. the M2 is ... visible in the bios (ver 1.6.5). 

1. Return it to that config. Does it boot again?

2. Well, that's good. That's a start anyway. :Smile:

Is this machine is UEFI mode?

Did you mess with the RAID/AHCI settings for some reason?

Is Intel-RST installed?

2 Posts

April 27th, 2018 16:00

1. Tried. Get blue screen. Error 0xc0000225.

2. Machine is in UEFI mode.

3. Raid was on up until machine did not want to boot anymore. I noticed that when the SATA operation is set to 'Raid on', the M2 is not visible via command prompt but when I change to AHCI it is again visible in command prompt.

Interesting is that when I just now reconnected the 2TB on which I accidentally installed Windows10 as well, I also now get a blue screen. Error 0xc000000f.

Another thing,  there are 4 partitions on the M2, but when I try to activate any of them the system says that it is not a fixed MBR disk.

Don't know what to do anymore.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 27th, 2018 19:00

@GinoGwrote:

1. Tried. Get blue screen. Error 0xc0000225.

2. Machine is in UEFI mode.

3. Raid was on up until machine did not want to boot anymore. I noticed that when the SATA operation is set to 'Raid on', the M2 is not visible via command prompt but when I change to AHCI it is again visible in command prompt.

4. Interesting is that when I just now reconnected the 2TB on which I accidentally installed Windows10 as well, I also now get a blue screen. Error 0xc000000f.

5. Another thing,  there are 4 partitions on the M2, but when I try to activate any of them the system says that it is not a fixed MBR disk.

Don't know what to do anymore.

1. I would leave only the M.2-SSD connected/inserted (HDD disconnected), AHCI Mode and troubleshoot that.

2. Good. Maybe try Disabling SecureBoot for now (if you can while keeping the machine in UEFI mode).

3. Yeah, not sure how Dell gets that to work in RAID mode. I think it has to do with their Imaging process and using a F6-Driver. Then, you normally install Intel-RST inside Windows.

I've had better luck setting it to AHCI-Mode. And then, NOT installing Intel-RST inside Windows.

4. No, you can't have another boot-able copy of Windows hooked-up. Windows doesn't like that. Unless you know how to erase it properly, just leave it disconnected until you get the SSD working again.

5. Yeah, that sounds about right for a SSD setup by Dell.

No Events found!