Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

5 Posts

December 19th, 2018 07:00

Optiplex 3060 SFF Num Lock

Hello All!
Was wondering if anyone knows how to get Num Lock to stay on by default at boot? I've read about disabling fast boot, but would rather not go that route if I don't have to.
Most other PC's I've had have a BIOS option for this but I don't see an option on this PC.
Any help is appreciated!
Happy Holidays!

5 Posts

December 19th, 2018 08:00

Fixed it! The regedit does work, and you do NOT have to disable Fast Boot.

Post in The Windows Club is a little old, but still valid. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/numlock-startup-windows-7-8  (Btw, Dell Support offered this option as well, which kind of surprised me.)

Here are the directions with a little clarity from me:

Enable Num Lock on startup using registry tweak

The second method is to alter the registry settings and so, Windows 10/8/7 users can try this. I would strongly recommend taking a backup of the registry and create a system restore point first. Having done that, follow these steps:

• Press Win + R and type in Regedit
  • Navigate to registry key HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard
  • Right-click on the “InitialKeyboardIndicators”, select Modify and change Value data to 2.
  • Exit Registry.
  • Reboot to confirm.
  • I changed "Default" user to 2. I read elsewhere that all Users had to be changed, but by changing the Default account, all other User accounts were changed to 2 as well.

Note: If you see the default value data as 2147483648; that is fine too and is the default on most installations. (My PC's value was 2147483648.)

Good luck and always remember to backup!

No Events found!