Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

4 Posts

April 30th, 2021 17:00

Optiplex 390 MT PCI-E Sata Expansion not working

Hello everybody,

I'm using an old Dell Optiplex 390 MT that I got from work(the i5 config) that I am using as NAS with Openmediavault 5 (debian based linux OS) up and running with 4 HDD (3+1 boot) on . I have tried twice now to expand my storage capacity with a pci-e sata expansion card from amazon, and twice now it hasn't worked.

First card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Second card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Error nas.jpg

On boot it just flashes this screen showing the Marvell 88SE92XX Adapter for about a second (sorry it's blurry - I can't focus and take the picture in time):

After that it just flashes _ (underscore) in the top left endlessly, and doesn't boot into OMV (or linux mint 20.1 from a USB for that matter, it will boot into linux mint normally without the card.). When I unplug the sata cables from it and just have the card in the slot, it boots to OMV fine. When I have it all plugged in and try to go into the bios, it goes through this process where it shows the above screen for a second, then goes and shows me a list of options, with booting from one of my four main drives through UEFI and then booting from one of the drives off the sata card listed under legacy boot, or going into the bios or diagnostics (so the card is at least detected at some point). When I go into the actual bios, it doesn't appear and it only shows me the option for enabling or disabling my 4 sata devices. I have tried turning virtualization on and off but it still doesn't work. Does anyone know what the issue is? I'm starting to think that either I'm getting VERY unlucky with my cards OR that it is an optiplex issue and that it will only work with 4 drives.

• 

25.7K Posts

May 1st, 2021 11:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

4 Posts

May 1st, 2021 12:00

Hello,

This computer is very old, and the computer runs fine without the expansion card, my problem is when the expansion card is installed.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 1st, 2021 14:00

So the max capacity for HDD''s according to the Optiplex 390 Tech Guide is 2.  However, this doesn't mean some old specs have been exceeded and working.

First, try changing the size 2032 CMOS battery.  A low battery can cause seemingly unrelated bizarre problems.  It's a good idea to just change when acquiring a machine that's more than 5 years old.

Next, have you tried the cards in different slots?  If I remember right, smaller cards can be plugged into the bigger slots and system should recognize.

Advice might also come in from other community members.  If it's still stuck at 4 HDD's max, that's still pretty good for a 390.

A Dell Precision with higher HDD capacity might be something to consider.

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2021 20:00

Hello,

Thanks, I will try updating the battery tomorrow when I go to the store. I am trying to run my system as a NAS hence the need for more than 4 HDD's (I have already replaced the optical drive for HDD's). I have done some more digging and it appears that the issue may be related to AHCI passthrough as that is what flashes on screen for a second when the computer boots up. I have tried enabling and disabling virtualization and it still doesn't work. I don't see an option for changing AHCI in the bios, does anyone know of anything else I can try?

4 Posts

May 4th, 2021 18:00

Turns out the PC just needed a bios update - thanks all!

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 4th, 2021 18:00

As luck would have it....  But glad you got it working.

1 Message

April 17th, 2023 09:00

I have exactly the same problem.Neither the gpu or the usb 3 card are recognised. I've agonised this for hours and still cant find a solution.I'm current running windows 10 home with the latest bios A14.

Ive even changed the CMOS battery. I cant ask Dell because they dont support the installation of windows 10 on this pc.The problem was exactly the same before I upgraged from Win 7..

Help!!!!!!

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

April 17th, 2023 17:00

You also have a 390 MT?  390 doesn't have USB 3.0 unless a PCIe card with it is added.

Have you also tried any different GPU's by any chance?  While I'd expect it to be a motherboard issue, like a dead PCIe slot, recently, a another user found the PCIe x16 slot worked after changing the CPU.  I think it was on a 790.  It could also be a bad GPU unless it works in another PC.  What model GPU are you trying to make work?

Thanks for mentioning the battery was changed.  But other than that, no info on what was tried already.

No Events found!