August 7th, 2019 08:00

Optiplex 390 new case

hi

i have the above pc

its seen better days ,so i am giving it to my nephew as a start up pc

i am thinking about upgrading the case as the original is worse for ware

im not very computer savvy but have built a few in the past

can anyone point me in the right direction to download the motherboard diagram

and then hopefully i can swop everything over and put wires of the new case where they supposed to go

thanks

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

August 7th, 2019 21:00

It's not stated if the size of your 390 is an MT, DT, or SFF.  It's also not stated if you plan to get another 390 case or something aftermarket.

Dell is very proprietary.  The guts of a Dell PC won't fit into an aftermarket case, or case of another brand.  The wiring is also proprietary.

Dell MB diagrams aren't available for download.  Again, proprietary.  How else would Dell be competitive?

MB layouts are in the tech guides:  Optiplex 390 Tech Guide

478 Posts

Windy, you can get Dells as refurbs pretty cheap, and the cases usually look very good, not beat up at all. Like Brad says, Dells are a nightmare to modify in almost every way. Good machines, but Dell is secretive and proprietary as they come.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

Refurb was going to be my next suggestion and I didn't type it.

4-digit model #'s, like 7010, 7020, 9010, 9020, etc., are newer than 3-digit.

3 Posts

August 12th, 2019 14:00

thanks for the info

iv just looked at the case and found its not an original dell case

so im going to follow how its wired and go from there

ill let you know how i get on 

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

May 1st, 2024 08:25

@bradthetechnut​ so if i have a dell optiplex 390 mt can i change the case to a bigger version of dell optiplex 390 so i can use a graphics card?

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

May 2nd, 2024 00:54

MT is the biggest case the Optiplex 390 comes in.  Did you mean "DT" or SFF"?  If you have one of those 2 sizes, it's entirely possible to change to an Optiplex 390 MT case.  I don't how well the screws will line up going from SFF to MT, but there's a better chance of things lining up going from DT to MT.

No Events found!