Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Message

February 16th, 2020 15:00

Optiplex 580 SFF PSU upgrade needed or not

Hi. Couple months ago I get a refurbished Dell Optiplex 580 SFF with AMD Athlon II x4 630, 4x2GB RAM and Radeon HD5450. As far it is running well, but I haven't "push it to the limit". It is used for everyday home needs - web browsing, music, movies etc. Now I have a chance to upgrade it with 4x4GB RAM and Radeon R5 230 or nVidia GT 710. So I'm using online PSU calculators to see if my PSU is capable of such upgrade. Here is the problem - according to the calculators I need 266W right now and the standard PSU is only 235W?! In Dell's documentation on Optiplex 580 SFF is shown that there was a configurations with the very same CPU and GPUs such as HD4550 and HD3450 both with higher TDP than the HD5450?! So do I make some miscalculations?! My question is if it is safe for the PC to run as it is tight now, or I should consider PSU upgrade?!   

p.s. Actually calculators have an option to chose between ATX and ITX motherboards and with the ITX option on my configuration the results shows 226W PSU needed?!

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

February 16th, 2020 18:00

Hi @Meto89,

If you upgraded your PSU, you'd have to go with a PSU outside the case.  PSU upgrades for SFF's are next to impossible otherwise.

There is a possible exception.  Use a 315w PSU that's for the Optiplex XE2 SFF.  However, I don't know if the MB connections are the same.  We'll have to await if speedstep (Rockstar) responds.  He has GPU's and how much power is needed on the various rales down to a science.

Meanwhile, the 30w GT1030 low profile (brand names vary) comes regularly recommended for various Optiplex's by above Rockstar.  It works well with stock PSU.

Optiplex 580 Tech Guide 

No Events found!