Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

1 Message

June 14th, 2018 20:00

Optiplex 745 No Bootable Drive

So my first issue with the computer was that the front USB were having a problem and causing the PC to have a ‘Keyboard Controller Error’ so I fixed this by putting an Optiplex GX620 frontal USB power button and diagnostics lights on. Then once I replied I all the CD drive and Floppy drive along with the hard drive the computer then started saying there was no bootable drive, and yes I switched the cables. But still it won’t read the drive and I can hear the drive spinning so it has to somewhat work, but I cannot be sure as the Optiplex is my only computer and no one near me (that I could ask) has a computer they’d let me plug my drive into.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

June 15th, 2018 02:00

Hi TwistedKrispie,

Start the system up and keep tapping the F12 key to access the Boot Menu. If the HDD is available to boot from, it will be listed there (usually as SATA0)

If it's listed, use the down arrow key to select Diagnostics and press enter. It should then indicate if there are any faults with the drive.

If it's not listed in the Boot Menu, restart the system and this time tap the F2 key to take you into the BIOS/setup. If the HDD is present it should be listed against Drives (again, usually as SATA0) If it's not that would suggest a faulty HDD. The only other thing to try would be to plug the cable into a different SATA port on the motherboard.

Let us know how you get on.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 15th, 2018 10:00

All of these models will NOT Boot if the CMOS battery is bad.

No Events found!