Unsolved

T

1 Rookie

• 

145 Posts

May 22nd, 2022 13:00

Optiplex 7480 AIO question

I bought an Optiplex 7480 AIO.

I will get it in about 2 weeks from now.

The screen is broken, but the PC works.

I plan to use it with an external monitor.

I hope I can get into the BIOS setup using an external monitor (DP or HDMI).

Is there a trick to force the PC after pressing F12 to show the BIOS setup on the external monitor, or will it do it by itself anyway?

Anyone with experience in this matter?

• 

25.1K Posts

May 23rd, 2022 07:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 23rd, 2022 08:00

See the manual for the Optiplex that might answer questions-

OptiPlex 7480 All-In-One Setup and Specifications (dell.com)

What you want to do might be difficult on an All in One model which is more like a laptop than a desktop.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2022 10:00

By any chance do you have another Dell and a 2nd monitor you can test that with?

There might be the possibility that BIOS might only show on the first monitor if the driver for a 2nd monitor is only in the OS and not BIOS.

Also please keep in mind if something is bought that's broke, one never knows what else might be wrong with it.

1 Rookie

• 

145 Posts

May 23rd, 2022 10:00

Good idea, but I hope somehow the AIO will "now" that the screen is broken (from the self test function?) and it will switch the picture to the external monitor. If not, than I will disconnect internally the signal cable for the built in display and see what happens. 

No worries there if other things might not work, because the whole thing was worth the money in  just the usable parts and besides it was an eBay buy, where the seller reassured me that it works fine otherwise.

I hoped that there is some special key combination to force the BIOS setup screen to the external monitor.

Anyway, once I get it and test it I will get back here with the results.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2022 12:00

Nothing in BIOS to switch monitors that I know of.

1 Rookie

• 

145 Posts

May 27th, 2022 09:00

I wonder if the display of the 7480 is the same as a display in another Dell monitor.

If I knew which, I could find the correct Dell monitor used and swap the display, because the new display is expensive.

Anyone with info regarding this?

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

May 27th, 2022 10:00

Others may chime in also.  The AIO monitor isn't the same as a stand alone monitor that I know of.  Picture a stand alone monitor with the back missing and normal connectivity not being there like with a normal monitor.  Connectivity on an AIO is to the PC part of it.  The back of a stand alone monitor can't simply be placed on an AIO monitor.

I don't know if some eBay sellers sell the AIO monitors alone.  Seems like I might have seen some.

Though this is Dell we're talking about, some years ago, I rebuilt a Gateway Profile 4 (AIO).  There's no way I would've been use the monitor(s) as stand alone.  If so, it would've been quite the stretch with wires coming out of the AIO to power the monitor.  But the back would be missing and no monitor stand.

I don't have a photo of the Profile 4 monitor alone, but I do have photos of the Profile 4.  I had fans outside of it due to heat issues.  Heat issues aren't uncommon in AIO's.

1111171621b.jpg

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

May 27th, 2022 12:00

And may be I'll be wiser by then.  : )>  Not sure why I was thinking of an AIO monitor used as stand alone.

One can say "a display is a display," but even if possible, sure wouldn't be easy.  One also has to think of screws and tabs lining up.  Stand alone monitor, with the back off, would have to have the same type of connection between PC and monitor that the AIO uses.

1 Rookie

• 

145 Posts

May 27th, 2022 12:00

Ebay sellers do sell the AIO display alone, but for "unhappy" prices.

I understand that a monitor is different from an AIO, but a display is a display in both of them.

So one has to disassemble the AIO and a monitor to such a point where the display could be swapped. Or at least that's what I thought could be possible.

I get the stuff next week, then I will be much wiser.

1 Rookie

• 

145 Posts

May 31st, 2022 07:00

I am typing this message on the 7480AIO. It has arrived.

I am using it with 2 external monitors (DP and HDMI).

I have disconnected the internal display, but I haven't figured out yet how to force the PC to output the initial screen (including the BIOS setup) to an external display. (The computer does not care that it "senses" no internal display. It's even shown in Windows 11 as a possible screen.)

Once Windows 11 is running everything is fine.

I would be even happier if I could find an app to setup the BIOS options from within Windows 11, this way would be no need to use the internal display. (OK, there would be one good use: if I could see the screen after pressing F12 and choosing an alternative boot device for booting up the Linux based Acronis TrueImage sometimes).

BTW a price quote has been asked by the local Dell service partner for a new display, but I suspect it will cost a lot...

1 Rookie

• 

145 Posts

May 31st, 2022 12:00

I will try later, thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

145 Posts

June 2nd, 2022 03:00

Unfortunately this is a "non WMI-ACPI complaint platform".

When i try to run the exe file created I get among others this:

Exit Code set to: 0 (0x0)
Result: FAILURE
Name of Exit Code: Couldn't get WMI-ACPI Buffer Size!!
Execution terminated

No Events found!