Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 3rd, 2018 09:00

Optiplex 780, upgrades for screen recording and gaming

Hi there.  let me start by saying i don't know much about computers.  so, i bought a refurb optiplex 780 sff for my daughter.  She wants to record her screen while she plays games and uses webcam, etc. for youtube videos or whatever.  I was told by Dell support to buy her a specific graphics card {Visiontek Radeon 6350 1GB}, but it didn't work cause its not for Windows 10.  So what do I get (on a budget) that allows her to use 2 lcd monitors and record her screen etc. while gaming and recording through a webcam? 

And other than a Graphics Card, what do I need to do?  Aside from update drivers..

Thanks!!! 

367 Posts

May 19th, 2018 17:00

The simple fact this is a small form factor that is a huge hindrance for upgrades since this thing won't take a graphics card that needs over 25w. The power supply can't be upgraded. Sure the CPU could be upgraded but there's no point in spending money on a PC that can't use a good GPU since this is probably the key to making this an OK gaming machine. 

If the budget is really tight then you should pick up the tower version of the 780

But I'd recommend getting an Optiplex 990 and putting a GTX 1050ti and an i7 2700k that would make a nice gaming PC that works OK because the 780 will struggle since the Core 2 CPU is starting to show it's age.

But for gaming (not recording) the 780+GTX 1050ti= Cheap gaming PC I know this since I put one in a TOWER, not the small form factor.

July 30th, 2018 18:00

That was a good upgrade you got there for gaming and screen recorder software although I find it not business-friendly for pc's though.
No Events found!